Shelved movies: made but never released

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Gary->dee, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I thought it would be an interesting idea to start a thread on movies that never actually came out even though they were made. Often referred to as being "shelved" they make it all the way to production but for whatever reason are never released and distributed.

I can only think of two movies. One is The Fantastic Four movie that was made in the early 90's but never saw the light of day. I think it was a matter of not meeting expectations, although I'm not certain. The other is a Jerry Lewis movie called The Day the Clown Cried from the early 70's which was controversial because it dealt with the delicate mixture of humor and concentration camps.

Can anyone think of other shelved movies and perhaps why they were never released to the public?

What about movies that were close to being shelved but were eventually released?

2. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

A more recent example is Slap Her, She's French, starring Piper Perabo. It was supposed to be released back in 2002, but hasn't even gone straight-to-video and there's no release date in sight. I'm not sure what the official reason behind this shelving is, but my guess is that the film is really bad.

3. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Although I haven't seen Slap Her, She's French it has been released on DVD over here. Same goes for Prozac Nation which seems eternally shelved in the US.

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Lucky McKee's All Cheerleaders Die has played at a few film festivals, but hasn't gotten any sort of actual release.

Gen 13 (based on the comic) was only released overseas and I believe that was in an unfinished state.

Slap Her, She's French was released overseas, but hasn't been released in any form in its home market.

I Love Your Work also played at a festival but was never released.

I'd like to see several of those. I'd think the investors would go DTV and hope to recoup some of their money. Are they holding out for something better or what?

There are plenty of shelved movies that end up being released. Knockaround Guys sat around for a couple years and was only released when Vin Diesel became a bankankable star.

Drawing Flies was completed in 1996 and not released until 2002.

5. Colin Sims

Colin Sims Agent

The Rutles 2002 Sequel "Rutles 2: Can't buy me lunch" sitting on the Warner's shelf.

It was never going to be Shakepeare, but how bad could it be?

Interview with ERic Idle at IGN

IDLE: Oh yes... all the time. He used it all the time. And I'm glad to say that the sequel that I made, which is called Can't Buy Me Lunch – and which is locked in the vault at Warners till I should pass away. I actually got it to George, and he actually saw it before he died, and watched it with a beatific smile on his face, a month to live, and his lovely son, had an audience of one.

IGNFF: Will it ever have an audience greater than that?

IDLE: I don't know if it needs an audience greater than that one. I would like it one day to come out, absolutely.

IGNFF: What are the circumstances behind that being locked away?

IDLE: It's difficult to get a sale of a one-off on any part of American television, because nobody's really interested. They can't pay enough to justify the lure of Warners, who want to sell it for first viewing. We could sell the second and the 300th showing immediately, but the first showing, they want to see a bit of money up front – you know what I mean? And that's hard for any channel to sort of buy. I don't know what the excuses are... it beats me.

IGNFF: You would think there would be an audience.

IDLE: I know there's an audience. That's not the issue. The issue is whether there's a buyer, which is a business/network decision.

IGNFF: So it's all a matter of a business perception.

IDLE: Absolutely. I mean, they could sell it cheaply and it would be on the air tomorrow, you know what I mean? That's not the issue.

IGNFF: They could make their money back on the back-end with DVDs and video.

IDLE: One would hope, but companies have their own... You know, if you make one, it's really hard to sell one – because nobody can make a profit off one. The advertisers – it's not worth their while to advertise on it. It's only one. If there was 32 more coming, it would be fine.

6. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    The Fantastic Four rights were bought from Roger Corman and Neue Constantin by Fox weeks before the scheduled release date. Fox promptly shelved the film, and twelve years later, their film is finally being shot.

The Day the Clown Cried finished production, but got held up by legalities - the production company felt they were owed money, Lewis thought otherwise. Also, the story's authors hated the rough cut that Lewis showed them, so they refused to give him the rights (seems that the producer had originally skipped that little bit when beginning production).

You can read more about that here.

7. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

The Black Cauldron -- original cut, before new studio exec Jeffrey Katzenberg decided to re-edit it to "relieve the darkness" of the original version. The original cut exists...just not outside the Disney walls.

8. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    The remake of The Devil and Daniel Webster with Alec Baldwin, Anthony Hopkins, and Jennifer Love Hewitt was shelved because they lacked the funds to complete it in postproduction.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

RE: Rutles 2

DAMN! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

I seem to recall the film having gotten a limited release here in NYC (the title quite stuck out at the time, as I'd never heard of it before), but perhaps my mind's playing tricks...

DJ

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It's possible, but IMDB doesn't menation it.

I shoudl maybe also mention the US version fo Zu Warriors which was never released. It was reported heavily re-edited to shift the focus onto actors Americans are familiar with and also dubbed.

12. Al Stuart

Al Stuart Stunt Coordinator