What's new

Shelley Duvall and her mental illness (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am sincerely disgusted by the way that Dr. Phil appears to be exploiting her for ratings, rather than assisting her in getting the help that she may need. I echo and completely agree with the comments that Vivian Kubrick made on her twitter earlier.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
The interview is heartbreaking and our empathy goes to Ms. Duvall and all those who live with serious mental illness. As this is not a political forum may I just say that one way to break the stigma of mental illness is to bring it out into the open and discuss it. Regardless of one's feelings about the particular Dr. Phil program greater awareness of the plight of the mentally ill, their families and their carers has been achieved by Ms. Duvall's story being shared. One can only hope that Governments across the world increase funding to improve treatment and outcomes for persons living with mental illness.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I have a brother in law who has Schizophrenia and it is a HORRIBLE illness, can tear families apart. It's sad that we don't even feel safe having him in our home around our kids. He has almost been shunned by his parents due to the stress and HUGE $$$$$ it takes to deal with it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A shame. I love her in every Altman film from 'Thieves Like Us' to 'Nashville' and 'Brewster McCloud'. 'Popeye' was the first movie I remember seeing on the big screen. I truly hope she gets the help she needs.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Treading lightly. Let's just say I found Dr. Phil's treatment very rude.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I guess to me the thing is all Dr. Phil does is exploit people's issues for television "entertainment" so interesting that people get upset about this particular exploitation. If that was just some women from Texas and not a former actress then there would probably be no outrage. In fact they probably would be praising Phil for offering to help and pay for her doctors. I have never seen his show but obviously a lot of people watch it and shows like it to wallow in other's misery.

Hopefully good comes out of it and Shelley gets the help and assistance she needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks