Shelf Life of average dvd player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_H, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Brad_H

Brad_H Agent

Hello all-
    I have a Pioneer DV-525. I purchased it right after they came out (3 or so years ago). I've noticed in the last few discs I've watched a lot of artifacts (jaggies), etc. Do average DVD players have a shelf life? How do you know if one is going bad or if you've just encountered a few bad discs in a row?

(by the way, the dvd's are: Zoolander, The Others, 2nd disc of A Beautiful Mind).

Thanks.

2. I have the 525 and it plays just like it did the day I got it=)

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I have a late version Pioneer 414 and it still plays everything great.

Your 525 may be having troubles. But one thing well worth checking out is to make sure the DVDs are squeaky clean. I have bought CDs since 1984 and only had a couple of them that wouldn't play (for whatever reason.) But with DVDs, I've had several that required cleaning, brand new out of the box. All kinds of crud on them. Before I cleaned them, they wouldn't play right on all 3 of my DVD players...

(And, FWIW, I have had several DVDs that cleaning wouldn't cure. But after exchange, everything was ok.)

4. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

The jaggies is more likely to be a dirty disc or lens. Any tracking failure or motor speed stability degradation in the player is likely to show up as pauses or drop-outs.

Jaggies are caused by either caused by:

a) inappropriate encoding of the video material to MPEG-2, using a poor encoder or too low a bitrate for the scene complexity (not your problem)

b) poor quality decoding of the MPEG-2 video stored on the DVD (your problem)

The first problem is disc-specific. The second problem is player-specific and will not degrade over time as it's done in software.

My guess is either a few badly encoded discs, or you've recently increased your sensitivity to these artifacts. Try a disc you know is good, or try the problem discs in someone else's player.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My 1997 Best Buy floor model Toshiba 2006 (first generation DVD player) is still going strong with a beautiful picture at my brother's apartment in New York.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

My Sony S-300 I purchased in September 1998 is still going strong. This is a real work horse DVD player. I am considering a new DVD player because my current one doesn't do DTS. Other than that it is still a great DVD player.

7. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

I bought the DV 525 same as Brad since it
    came out 3 years back. So far it's holding out and plays
    flawlessly.Regular cleaning with disc cleaner certainly
    helps.

One other thing that I don't know about you guys, but I
    often use the XLO Reference Recordings Test & Burn-in CD
    by Prof Keith Johnson to burn-in my HT system. Have been
    using it since 1998.

8. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I knew I shouldn't have replied here. Just within the last couple of days, my 414 has begun acting up...[​IMG]
    It's not the discs (they're clean, not scratched and other players play them ok.) So, I'm going to replace it with a new Sony progressive model. (I have a Sony DVD in my 2nd setup and have been pleased...)