1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

shelf for center speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Aug 16, 2001.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

Is a metal shelf going to make my center speaker sound differently than a wood shelf? I need to put a shelf for the speaker above my TV but I have very little vertical space to work with. A metal shelf would be a lot thinner.
    ------------------

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think either would be fine. if you go with metal, just put some rubber feet under the speaker. that should be more than adequate to eliminate any vibrations. it's not like you're putting a sub up there... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhhh.... I'd be a little worried about using a metal shelf.
    Put a pebble in a wood box and rattle it around.
    Then put the pebble in a metal can and rattle it.
    Wood has very different reflective/acoustic properties than metal. Your speaker is basically "exploding" air and I have to believe the metal will sound very different.
    David: Can't you just put the center ON the TV? Make some feet out of rubber-errasers, rubber door-wedges, wooden dowels, etc.

4. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

My center is an older Paradigm speaker...CC300 or soemthing like that. It is quite large and completely rectangular. My present 27" TV sure couldn't support that speaker but when I get a new 32" it might....
    I might just get some L braces and attach it to the top of the entertainment center that way.