Sheetrock Acoustics

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ChrisWiggles, Mar 5, 2004.

1. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    Got a quick, somewhat urgent question about sheetrock and acoustics. Due to severe height limitations, it isn't feasible to have any kind of quality ceiling, so noise control attempts are not even an issue.

However, for the walls, all the information I read about is about building sound isolation, which is well and good, but I'd like to know about in-room acoustics and what is preferable for that? Again, sound insulation is not so much my goal.

Should I do 1/2 in? 3/8 in? Dual layer with both? Soundboard + drywall? Should I also use glue to prevent rattles in the walls? I was thinking doing heavy dual layer, and I don't know if I should, because I was trying to figure out if that would reflect more bass because it's more rigid or what, I do not know.

What are the tradeoffs for these different construction methods? This is for IN the room sound only. Thanks for your input!
  2. Jason D.

Jason D. Agent

Feb 28, 2004
    Sheetrock is going to reflect your highs, allow your mids to pass through it, and do almost nothing to stop the bass. All of these can be addressed with acoustical treatments once the room is finished. However, IF you are trying to do something about sound insulation (which you state you aren't) then yes, making structural changes some of which you mentioned can and will help control sound---from BOTH entering and exiting the room.

I suggust if you are really just concerned about acoustics, make sure you insultate the all the walls, play with room deminsions a bit to make sure you are not starting with a flawed design (see the many room acoustic calculators available on line and enter your room size to see how many peeks and nulls it come up with and try to minimize as best you can within your constraints). Good luck.

If you need a link to the calculator, just let me know. (A good one was published and is available on the Home Theater Magazine website).