She

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Antonio S, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Antonio S

Antonio S Stunt Coordinator

Who Must Be Obeyed
    Anyone have any info on this 1935 film. Based on a H. Rider Haggard novel, that has occasionally haunted me. Remember the film on TV many years ago.
    Its available on DVD from Amazon at a bit of an enflated price. Curious about the transfer quality.

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

The DVD on Amazon is a Kino release, and the transfer is good, though not exceptional. I believe it was taken from a 16mm print rather than 35mm, so the picture quality isn't as detailed as it could be.

3. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    I have a copy of the Kino release, it looks fine to me, but I'm not a hyper-videophile. It's several years old so I suspect the transfer is non-progressive, and it's probably single layer as well. But it looked good; the print was in very good shape (visible reel change marks notwithstanding) with good detail, contrast, black levels, all good if not great. I didn't notice any splices or missing frames, which I find very distracting when present. The audio has the limitations of the era but was strong and clear with only moderate hiss, occasional scratchiness. On the whole, certainly very watchable.

The title seems to be in-print at Kino's regular prices, which are a bit higher than some other companies. I think I paid about $15 for mine, but that was a few years ago.

One thing that really interests me about this title is that it was an RKO production that doesn't appear to be owned by Warners. Does anyone know why? The Kino package carries an RKO copyright notice; so some remnant of the company must still exist, if only to serve as copyright holder. If I'm not mistaken, The Devil and Daniel Webster from Criterion has the same RKO copyright notice. For whatever reason these two (and others?) must have been excluded from the package of films that wound up at WB. Does anyone have more info?

4. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

"She" was claimed by Raymond Rohaeur for many years after he was supposed to have made some sort of deal with H.Rider Haggard's estate. It is still claimed by his successor in interest, I believe. There is some question as to whether the DVD is complete. A friend who saw it on a 1948 re-issue says it is not.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

5. Antonio S

Antonio S Stunt Coordinator

Very much appreciate your comments, gentlemen.
    This is on my next purchase as well as Capra's "Lost Horizon". I believe this may be a good restoration.
    Must be going through my annual loves lost, nostalgia phase. Better get 'em before it wears off. [​IMG]

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Devil and Daniel Webster was an independent production, which is why it didn't go to Warner.

According to IMDB, this is the sole surviving print of She, which Rohauer found in Buster Keaton's garage. But on the IMDB message board someone else is claiming that a more complete 35mm print recently turned up. But no names, no details, so that may well be another fictitious claim like the many claims of London After Midnight being tucked away in various people's collections (including that of Kubrick). Who knows?