SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: She Said (2022)

Tagline: "Will you go on the record?"

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Maria Schrader

Cast: Carey Mulligan, Zoe Kazan, Patricia Clarkson, Andre Braugher, Jennifer Ehle, Samantha Morton, Ashley Judd, Zach Grenier, Peter Friedman, Tom Pelphrey, Frank Wood, Adam Shapiro, Roxanna Hope, Lola Petticrew, Angela Yeoh, Sean Cullen, Gregg Edelman, Katherine Laheen, Emma Clare O'Connor, Dalya Knapp, Emery Ellis Harper, James Austin Johnson, Katie Nisa, Sarah Ann Masse, Mike Spara, Traci Wolfe, Sujata Eyrick, Shirley Rumierk, Judith Godrèche, Dipa Anitia, Tessa Lee, Keilly McQuail, Zabryna Guevara, Harvey Friedman, Anastasia Barzee, John Mazurek, Hilary Greer, Makia Martin, Leah Kreitz, Nicole Betancourt, Marceline Hugot, Ruby Thomas, Alex Hurt, Richard Busser, Katherine Kendall, Edward Astor Chin, Kathleen Mary Carthy, Maren Heary, Elle Graham, Wesley Holloway, Justine Colan, Molly Windsor, Ashley Chiu, Safia Oakley-Green, Catherine LeFrere, Anita Sabherwal, Makayla Patton, Celia Au, Tina WongLu, Lauren O'Connor, Brad Aldous, Jason Babinsky, Mike Houston, George Walsh, Davram Stiefler, Stephanie Heitman, Mary Higgins, Gwyneth Paltrow

Release: 2022-11-17

Runtime: 129

Plot: New York Times reporters Megan Twohey and Jodi Kantor break one of the most important stories in a generation — a story that helped launch the #MeToo movement and shattered decades of silence around the subject of sexual assault in Hollywood.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Great movie and a great score. I did not see the time going, I was glued to the screen.

Last edited:

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
It's hard to overstate the impact the 2017 N.Y. Times and The New Yorker's concurrent bombshell articles about Harvey Weinstein's sexual harassment and assault accusations had not only on Hollywood, but the corporate world in general. Director Maria Schrader's SHE SAID is an effective take on the Times' reportage centering on two of the writers of the piece, Jodi Kantor (Zoe Kazan) and Megan Twohey (Carey Mulligan).

Rebecca Lenkiewicz' screenplay takes a personalized viewpoint on the events. Kantor and Twohey are working mothers who have to balance their professional and personal lives while also bringing that perspective to their investigation of Weinstein's misconduct. The third writer on the article, Rebecca Corbit (Patricia Clarkson), is seen as more of the seasoned editorial hand in the process.

All three actresses are steely and steady, without the histrionics often associated with dramas based on true events. Their characters are all about understanding, compassion and getting the facts right. What truly elevates the movie are the performances of the accusers in the case. Ashley Judd gets the headlines in the resultant article (she plays herself here), but, it's Angela Yeoh, Jennifer Ehle and Samantha Morton as a trio of lesser known assistants who really bring home the human cost of Weinstein's brutality. Ehle and Morton in particular, are exceptional, creating true flesh and blood women with a minimum of screen time. One gets a true sense not only of careers ruined, but, of lives irrevocably altered. Anastasia Barzee makes an effective villain as a win at all cost Weinstein lawyer (Lisa Bloom). Andre Braugher is strong as NY Times executive editor Dean Baquet.

Schrader's Direction is solid, but never showy. She keeps the focus on the performances and journalism angle --and film is all the more effective for it (this is not merely a “Hollywood” story). Perhaps more of a delay in time could have been warranted here, and there are some extraneous issues brought in. The movie was released with Weinstein on trial in Los Angeles. An argument could be made that some perspective would grow over time, but there is no doubt that SHE SAID states its case assuredly and with impact.

Attachments

• sheShe.jpg
    sheShe.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 16

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was watching some current movie posters and was surprised to see Miramax. Miramax still exists?! I thought it was dissolved or something.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I was watching some current movie posters and was surprised to see Miramax. Miramax still exists?! I thought it was dissolved or something.
It has an incredibly valuable library. Paramount Global bought a large stake and have announced they will not only distribute the existing product, but will produce new entertainment based on existing properties

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I understand for the old catalog obviously, but why make new movies in that name? Confess, Fletch (2022) is them for example.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I understand for the old catalog obviously, but why make new movies in that name? Confess, Fletch (2022) is them for example.
Miramax had the rights. As I wrote, the plan is to continue to exploit those assets. But, yes, they should call them Paramount Global and not "Miramax"

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks