What's new

SHE HATE ME DVD Glitch? (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching Spike Lee's SHE HATE ME DVD and noticed a rather odd glitch.

Like most DVDs of Sony Picture Classics films, there are no English subtitle options (one of the few labels that doesn't carry them).

But, during one scene in the film, they are interviewing people on the street. One person interviewed speaks German and another Spanish.

With the subtitles turned off, when they speak, French subtitles pop up for the text. I clicked all the settings and there are only French, Spanish, and I think Portugese subtitles for the film, and for this scene. English subtitles are nowhere to be found, even for this scene that is supposed to have them.

I don't know if they just forgot to add them, or why this happened for this one scene, but it was very odd.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see it in the theater so don't know for sure, but in watching the DVD, I think it is intentional. The people are being interviewed by a French news channel (the reporters speak French), so the German and Spanish comments would be subbed in French for the intended French speaking audience (within the movie). I believe this is meant to inform us that "Jack" has become a global phenomenon.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
I am one of the select group who saw this decidedly odd movie in a theater and am pretty sure that the news story interviews spoken in languages other than English were subtitled in English. But I can't swear to it.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I was watching this a couple of nights ago and it definitely seemed like a glitch. There's another scene earlier in the film where an English word is written on a card (sorry I forget the context), and there's a subtitle translating it into Portuguese.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, whenever another language other than English is spoken, there is burnt-in french subs!!! Very weird... maybe they mixed up the Quebec release or something. It's definately a flaw, but I don't think any of the foreign dialogue serves an important purpose in the film.

I must say I was quite surprised with the movie though, nowhere near as bad as the reviews suggest. I quite liked it. It was... different. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks