What's new

She finds the SVS after 11 days. (1 Viewer)

PhilS

Stunt Coordinator
Since this is a wives/girlfriend post, I have to say my wife has been awesome about the home theater I built in our bonus room. The past few weeks, she has shopped for fabric and curtain rods at various stores, and then she sowed, by herself, (1) lined curtains to block out all ambient light from the room, and (2) black velvet curtains to go on the front wall of the theater behind the projection screen. She probably spent a total of 20 to 30 hours with all the shopping and sowing. And she probably save me $2000. Plus, she was enthusiastic about the project the whole time. And not only that, she has this amazing knack for being able to fish wire through walls. I hereby nominate her for "HT Wife Of The Year."

Jin E

Second Unit
Well... I bought the rug. It won't get me out of the dog house though. It's a start. It's a cool ass rub though... so It really wasn't a sacrifice to buy it. Guess I need to find her a Boyd's bear... especially the Elephant she was wanting.
For those of you who read the Feng Shui thread in the After Hours lounge... the SVS happens to be sitting in the relationship corner of the living room! ‘Tis not a good sign! I should have checked for proper harmony before I put it in that corner. I need a harmonious symbol to place in that corner to cancel out the bad Chi. Damn thos magic beans!
BTW... the rug does tie to room together. Although the black rug looked good and was gret for HT... having to vacum it 3 times a day SUCKED! I need a picture of the new rug.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
It's a cool ass rub though...
eek.gif

I think we'd all be happy not knowing about what you're doing with the rug while your girlfriend is mad at you.
laugh.gif

Due N

Grip
Hehehe... this is a hilarious thread... oh well, let's rub it in... :)
My wife finally gave in and allowed me a $2K budget for a new TV. Well, after searching around, I found one I like. The bad news... it's ~$5K. :) So instead of insisting on it, I took her see a "similar" model that's $12.5K. hehehe... after that, all she said was...
"Let's get it!" Boy, I love her!!!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Well, I have a very different story from you guys here. I have a pretty meager HT setup compared to all of you guys and I drool at the thought of having a Progressive Scan player, front projection video display, SVS sub, etc...
Anyways, I just recently broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years. We had been engaged for the last year, and things just started falling apart. Things were said, and one thing she told me in our last argument was "all I ever do is stay home and watch movies". Thats not entirely true, but I do average 6-7 movies a week.
Although that statement isnt the reason we ended it, it was just one more piece of ammunition I got to justify leaving her. Man, I wish I had someone like some of you guys do that actually enjoy the things I like and are understanding when I want to "blow" away money on something as "pointless" as a new subwoofer (as my new ex would have said it).

Basil Theologus

Auditioning
My wife and I are moving into a new house at the end of the month, and I decided that I needed and SVS to go with the new house. First, I told her that I wanted to get a new subwoofer, but she just rolled her eyes and said something like, "Do you really need to spend that kind of money right now?"
So, over the past few weeks I have been printing reviews (mostly from this forum), and forcing her to read them.....finally, all the hard work has paid off. She is actually looking forward to getting the new sub now :)
My next project is to start talking about how we need some new speakers........

Andy_S

Second Unit
I have a sad, sad story that only you guys will appreciate.
For months I have been slowly getting my wife accustomed to the idea that I was going to be buying a large HDTV (64" Mitsubishi Platinum Plus) and after a lot of resistance there was finally some give on her part. At the same time I was finishing the basement and I had turned one room into what would become my home theater room. Well, I finally finished the basement and had my wife comfortable with the idea that I was going to be spending a sizeable amount of money (roughly $5K for the TV and DVD Player + Tax + Cables, etc). Then, my trucks brakes go out ($300), the washing machine fries ($450) and my wifes car breaks down ($600)! All within a 3 week period! So now my HT purchase has been pushed back MONTHS. And I have a beautiful dedicated HT room sitting vacant... I have to go now, it's getting hard to type with tears in my eyes.
Andy
PS: Please send all donations to the "Help Andy Watch Movies the Way They Were Intended Fund" via PayPal. Thanks

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
Great thread! My g/f has been pretty cool up to this point, but then again, I don't think she realizes how much I've spent on the HT. I just moved into my first home, so I kind of went overboard, and ended up with the following:
Toshiba 55H70 HDTV ($1825)
NHT SuperTwos ($500)
NHT SuperCenter ($175)
NHT SuperZeros ($190)
SVS 20-39CS/S700 combo ($849)
Denon 3802 or 2802 (Coming soon, $550-800 depending)
A/V Furniture Rack ($90)
Italian Leather Sofa/Loveseat ($2700)
She knows how much the TV and sofa cost, but doesn't have a clue what the speakers and receiver cost (and I'd be dead if she found out how much the SVS cost!) She says I should be saving for a ring, but I tell her that I make enough to afford both. :)
Good luck guys. Glad I'm still single, because I'd never get away with this otherwise.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I had some great laughs reading this thread.
One thing that seems to be common acceptance with the SO seems to be with the TV. No problem at all getting the RPTV awhile back. Now she's complaining why I haven't got the front projector for the HT room yet
smiley_jawdrop.gif

Couldn't really care less about audio upgrades though. Had to warm her up to a sonosub, and actually let her pick between an Hsu 12va (coffee table) and TN1220 (now hidden behind the RPTV
wink.gif

Andy, sorry to hear about the costly repairs. My luck hasn't been much better since the place got zapped by lightning
eek.gif

Christ. What a bunch of pathetic men. Your the king of your castle. ACT LIKE IT! Makes me wonder?
rolleyes.gif

------------------

Jin E

Second Unit
quote:
Man, I must be really lucky!
My girlfriend never cares what I buy!
All she says is, do what you want!
[/quote]
Oh man… you are in a world of hurt. You obviously have not learned to read the signs yet.
Yes… that new TV looks nice = You spent $2,000 on that? I don’t see the difference. The old 19" was much nicer and I was allowed to put potted plants on top of it.
That sounds good honey = OK… that’s WAY too loud… turn the damned thing down. The amount of displeasure I receive from listening to this overly-loud crap will be delt back in time at a exponential proportion.
Do what you want = Go ahead… rest assured I’m taking notes on how much money you spend on your HT and how much money you spend on me. I had better come out on top or you will be in BIG trouble. Anything you say can and will be used against you over and over and over and over again.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater
[Edited last by Jin E on August 16, 2001 at 10:01 AM]

Gruson

Second Unit
Buy the 65" TV, she will end up loving it. How could you not?!?!?! :)
------------------
Equipment:
Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV ISFd Steve Martin
Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
Paradigm PW2200
Paradigm Studio CC
Paradigm Studio 40s
CV LS-15s
CV LS-8s
Toshiba 6200 Progressive
Pioneer CLD704 LD
Aura Bass Shakers
1080i DirecTV

Wayne A

Agent
My wife can spends $28.00 dollars on her tanning lotion, and other beauty products. She is a beautician by trade. I recently told her I was planning to upgrade my cables and other stuff and she says ok. Btw, I bought her enough "Ice&Gold" in the last year so it's my turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks