1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

She finds the SVS after 11 days.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jin E, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

She finally found it on her own... and boy was it ugly! I would suggest that you married guys not try this at home. The outcome wouldn't have been as bad if earlier that evening I passed up on a 8x11 area rug that was normally $300 that was on sale for $150 that we had both said we really liked and thought it would tie my room together, and that I said I didn't have the cash to buy it at this moment. If you need me I'll be in the dog house.
    The beginning of the story is here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/042080.html
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Doh!!! I feel for you man. It will be alright.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Maybe you should look into powered towers? [​IMG] j/k

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

That's a pretty funny story. Too bad you got in trouble though. I must say that sub fits in nice with your room. Also, I admire your usage of a vintage DVD player. I too am using a first gen player, a Sony DVP-S3000, and I've yet to find an ample reason to replace it. When I finally do, I think I'll keep the 3000 hooked up for nostalgia purposes.

5. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

You best go buy that rug now!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    Updated new pictures!

6. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Check out rugsusa.com to see if they have it!
    ------------------

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Ouch!
    Well, on the other hand, it's not like you didn't know it was coming. [​IMG] The old saying that "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission" is a good one, but not sure it applies to women much.
    Ah well, at least you have your SVS to keep you warm all those cold nights on the couch. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

8. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

Good work!
    The SVS will last much longer than her anger. You won this battle.
    ------------------
    Don't let your woman control your bass!

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Not married.....
    However, I was walking through Best Buy the other day when we passed by the TV area. My girlfriend turned to me and enthusiastically asked "when are you going to get a widescreen TV?". [​IMG]
    A good sign.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

10. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Luckly I have the best wife in the world. I can change the HT room at any time, but the money side is a whole different game. My wood shop has a sign above that says Jimmy's dog house. You can join me, I have a TV, refigerator, and of course tools. What punishment [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

11. Les_D

Les_D Auditioning

Philip,
    Keep that one!

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  13. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Same thing happened to me when I but my Paradigm PS-1000. I had been talking about getting a sub but the wife would have no part of it. So I picked it up when she wasn't home and integrated it into my setup. SHe never noticed it for a while till one day I was cleaning up and moving around my setup. Thats when the question "Whats THAT!!!" popped up. I told her it was the speaker that was in the corner, that I wanted to move it to see if I get a better sound/response. Luckily she bought the story.
    Kevin

14. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

You're already in the doghouse, might as well go buy some of that other stuff you've been looking at. [​IMG] You should've bought that rug! Don't worry, she'll get over it. You just need to buy her something. My wife and I do this all the time. Whenever she tells me that she bought something that's a little expensive (usually jewelry) I immediately start thinking about what I can buy for the HT. She can't refuse and we're both happy. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Tim Markley on August 15, 2001 at 10:39 AM]

15. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Dude, you should have bought that rug. It would have really tied the room together. Still, at least no-one can urinate on it that way.
    [​IMG]

16. Jack Smith

Jack Smith Agent

when my wife finally saw two SVS "water heaters" in the basement, i expected the worse, but she actually turned to me and said "...oh well, i don't understand the need for all these boxes, but you work hard, so, have fun". She gave a kiss then went upstairs and cooked dinner. I was so moved, that for our 20th anniversary (silver), I went out and bought her a new Mercedes SUV (in silver of course). Life is good in the collective.
    we are the borg...

17. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Too funny. My g/f is also not the most observant, though she tends to notice when something is seriously different. But then I do not always notice when she gets her hair cut either... [​IMG]

18. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

Mine girlfriend is a keeper too [​IMG] She actually loves my home theater at reference level! "You can feel it!"
    She knows I upgrade it to all the time and is fine with it...I just hope things do not change if we get married.
    To hell with a rug, I want that amp!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Equipment:
    Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV ISFd Steve Martin
    Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
    Paradigm PW2200
    Paradigm Studio CC
    Paradigm Studio 40s
    CV LS-15s
    CV LS-8s
    Toshiba 6200 Progressive
    Pioneer CLD704 LD
    Aura Bass Shakers
    1080i DirecTV

19. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

This is a hilarious thread and one I can definitely relate to! I tried to sneak a new Pioneer Elite DV-37 into the HT while my wife was in CT at a wedding one weekend...but my conscience got the best of me and I told her (well, this was back in June and we had only been married 3 weeks - probably why I wanted to 'fess up). Bad idea! I was in the doghouse for about 3 days while she pondered the tremendous error I had made...
    What I've found with my wife is that it's a definite "no-no" to spring new HT toys upon her. That being said, she's an amazingly tolerant person when I "warm her up" to the idea of buying new equipment, which I'm always thinking about. I usually start a couple weeks or months prior to the purchase by casually throwing it out at the dinner table ("Hi hon, I noticed today I'm just not getting the picture quality I'd like - I should start thinking about a progressive scan DVD player..."). The bigger the toy, the further ahead I start to plant the seeds...Then I continue to point out the issue over the next couple months. This gives me the ability to claim I told her about it, and it gives her the understanding of my intentions. By the time I'm ready, she's very cool about it. A much smoother way for me to get my toys! She's incredibly tolerant and understanding of my love of HT but I have to work it the right way...
    Just some food for thought for all of you who have sprung your toys on your wives and have landed in the doghouse like I did!
    ------------------
    Scott

20. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

Philip,
    I'll do you one better. When my wife and I were looking at widescreen sets for my birthday, she noticed a FP and asked why not get one of those. [​IMG] Of course that type of setup was not in the budget. But with the new house coming so will a dedicated FP room and system. [​IMG]
    ------------------