What's new

She finds the SVS after 11 days. (1 Viewer)

Jin E

Second Unit
She finally found it on her own... and boy was it ugly! I would suggest that you married guys not try this at home. The outcome wouldn't have been as bad if earlier that evening I passed up on a 8x11 area rug that was normally $300 that was on sale for $150 that we had both said we really liked and thought it would tie my room together, and that I said I didn't have the cash to buy it at this moment. If you need me I'll be in the dog house.
The beginning of the story is here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/042080.html
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
That's a pretty funny story. Too bad you got in trouble though. I must say that sub fits in nice with your room. Also, I admire your usage of a vintage DVD player. I too am using a first gen player, a Sony DVP-S3000, and I've yet to find an ample reason to replace it. When I finally do, I think I'll keep the 3000 hooked up for nostalgia purposes.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
You best go buy that rug now!! :)
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new pictures!

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Ouch!
Well, on the other hand, it's not like you didn't know it was coming. :) The old saying that "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission" is a good one, but not sure it applies to women much.
Ah well, at least you have your SVS to keep you warm all those cold nights on the couch.
wink.gif

------------------
/Kimmo

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Good work!
The SVS will last much longer than her anger. You won this battle.
------------------
Don't let your woman control your bass!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Not married.....
However, I was walking through Best Buy the other day when we passed by the TV area. My girlfriend turned to me and enthusiastically asked "when are you going to get a widescreen TV?".
yum.gif

A good sign.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Luckly I have the best wife in the world. I can change the HT room at any time, but the money side is a whole different game. My wood shop has a sign above that says Jimmy's dog house. You can join me, I have a TV, refigerator, and of course tools. What punishment
wink.gif

------------------
Luke, I'm your father

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Same thing happened to me when I but my Paradigm PS-1000. I had been talking about getting a sub but the wife would have no part of it. So I picked it up when she wasn't home and integrated it into my setup. SHe never noticed it for a while till one day I was cleaning up and moving around my setup. Thats when the question "Whats THAT!!!" popped up. I told her it was the speaker that was in the corner, that I wanted to move it to see if I get a better sound/response. Luckily she bought the story.
Kevin

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
You're already in the doghouse, might as well go buy some of that other stuff you've been looking at.
laugh.gif
You should've bought that rug! Don't worry, she'll get over it. You just need to buy her something. My wife and I do this all the time. Whenever she tells me that she bought something that's a little expensive (usually jewelry) I immediately start thinking about what I can buy for the HT. She can't refuse and we're both happy.
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Tim Markley on August 15, 2001 at 10:39 AM]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Dude, you should have bought that rug. It would have really tied the room together. Still, at least no-one can urinate on it that way.
wink.gif

Jack Smith

Agent
when my wife finally saw two SVS "water heaters" in the basement, i expected the worse, but she actually turned to me and said "...oh well, i don't understand the need for all these boxes, but you work hard, so, have fun". She gave a kiss then went upstairs and cooked dinner. I was so moved, that for our 20th anniversary (silver), I went out and bought her a new Mercedes SUV (in silver of course). Life is good in the collective.
we are the borg...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Too funny. My g/f is also not the most observant, though she tends to notice when something is seriously different. But then I do not always notice when she gets her hair cut either...
laugh.gif

Also, I admire your usage of a vintage DVD player. I too am using a first gen player, a Sony DVP-S3000, and I've yet to find an ample reason to replace it. When I finally do, I think I'll keep the 3000 hooked up for nostalgia purposes.
biggrin.gif
My first gen Panasonic DVD-A300U is still going strong too.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Gruson

Second Unit
Mine girlfriend is a keeper too
wink.gif
She actually loves my home theater at reference level! "You can feel it!"
She knows I upgrade it to all the time and is fine with it...I just hope things do not change if we get married.
To hell with a rug, I want that amp!!!!!!!! :)
------------------
Equipment:
Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV ISFd Steve Martin
Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
Paradigm PW2200
Paradigm Studio CC
Paradigm Studio 40s
CV LS-15s
CV LS-8s
Toshiba 6200 Progressive
Pioneer CLD704 LD
Aura Bass Shakers
1080i DirecTV

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
This is a hilarious thread and one I can definitely relate to! I tried to sneak a new Pioneer Elite DV-37 into the HT while my wife was in CT at a wedding one weekend...but my conscience got the best of me and I told her (well, this was back in June and we had only been married 3 weeks - probably why I wanted to 'fess up). Bad idea! I was in the doghouse for about 3 days while she pondered the tremendous error I had made...
What I've found with my wife is that it's a definite "no-no" to spring new HT toys upon her. That being said, she's an amazingly tolerant person when I "warm her up" to the idea of buying new equipment, which I'm always thinking about. I usually start a couple weeks or months prior to the purchase by casually throwing it out at the dinner table ("Hi hon, I noticed today I'm just not getting the picture quality I'd like - I should start thinking about a progressive scan DVD player..."). The bigger the toy, the further ahead I start to plant the seeds...Then I continue to point out the issue over the next couple months. This gives me the ability to claim I told her about it, and it gives her the understanding of my intentions. By the time I'm ready, she's very cool about it. A much smoother way for me to get my toys! She's incredibly tolerant and understanding of my love of HT but I have to work it the right way...
Just some food for thought for all of you who have sprung your toys on your wives and have landed in the doghouse like I did!
------------------
Scott

PhilipW

Second Unit
Philip,
I'll do you one better. When my wife and I were looking at widescreen sets for my birthday, she noticed a FP and asked why not get one of those.
eek.gif
Of course that type of setup was not in the budget. But with the new house coming so will a dedicated FP room and system.
biggrin.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks