What's new

Shazam (1 Viewer)

Avilos

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Soliva
In Jerry Ordway's run on Shazam in the 90s he did a tribute to the show. For a brief time the Wizard Shazam took human form and he and Billy traveled around the country in an RV. Clearly putting Shazam in the role of Mentor. It actually makes a lot of sense that Billy and Captain Marvel would call Shazam that sometimes. Saying Shazam's name turns Billy into Captain Marvel. If they said i the real name a lot he would never stay one or the other long.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I really liked this show. Why? I'm not a 100% sure why. I loved the Filmation live action shows. While some may say the show is so corny, I think it had important messages. Usually the wrongdoer learned the error of their ways.The unabashed wholesomeness and moral clarity of Billy and Mentor I found uplifting and inspiring. I like this quality in the 1960's Batman show as well.
This is food for another topic. There was a time when Hollywood understood that what makes a superhero is not their super powers but their super virtue. Even the villians had super powers.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
dhammer said:
I really liked this show. Why? I'm not a 100% sure why. I loved the Filmation live action shows. While some may say the show is so corny, I think it had important messages. Usually the wrongdoer learned the error of their ways.The unabashed wholesomeness and moral clarity of Billy and Mentor I found uplifting and inspiring. I like this quality in the 1960's Batman show as well.
This is food for another topic. There was a time when Hollywood understood that what makes a superhero is not their super powers but their super virtue. Even the villians had super powers.
Filmation was very good at sending messages to kids during the 1970s through various shows. I can name shows like Ark II and Shazam that spoke about issues of the day, i.e. environment, bullying, joy-riding, people with disabilities, etc. Some the aforementioned issues are still relevant today, but are more influence by lack of physical activity and/or use of the computer.
Another thing that is lost is family role was different in the 1970s when you seen more stay at home moms until kids got to a certain age, i.e. 11. Kids today would look at shows like shazam and the other cartoons as very cheesy. Kids have been influence too much by cgi graphics as such can not look at shows that do not have these graphics in them.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
gordoncolt said:
I will get this set if the episodes are uncut.Any word if the episodes will be remastered?
if they look as good as those seven episodes that ran on TV Land do, I'll be more than happy!
One thing to remember, though: the show was filmed on 16mm, so it naturally won't look as good as a 35mm show.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Disappointed to read about the one-month delay on this title - was really looking forward to getting it in September. Not only to have these episodes but to also get the only remaining live-action Isis appearances not yet on DVD.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Meh for me about this DVD release of this show; I'd rather see a new animated Captain Marvel show from the same people that made the recent direct-to-DVD animated Captain Marvel movie Superman/Shazam!-The Return of Black Adam. That was a lot better, stuck to the actual comic book universe, and had a better story. Plus, having an appearance by Superman didn't hurt.

For anybody doubting me on this point; I grew up watching the show.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Another dvd set not available in Canada. I will have to go through amazon.com in the USA to get the release. The release should be available by Feb 2013 for me!!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
For those who may be curious, a source connected to Warner Archives has confirmed (to me personally) that like some other recent TV releases, the initial run of Shazam! sets will be on pressed (rather than burned) media!

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
bretmaverick2 said:
I am really wondering if a deal will be cut to include the ISIS crossover episodes on this set??
Were they included in the SECRETS OF ISIS COMPLETE SERIES SET??
paste said:
The Isis episodes with Captain Marvel were included on the Isis set, so the Shazam! episodes with Isis should be on the Shazam! set.
From what I've seen, Isis is owned by DC Comics, who have started publishing stories about her and integrating her into the DC Universe and into the narrative of the Shazam/Captain Marvel comic books; sounds like they should be also snapping up and getting the Isis show rights and putting them on DVD as well.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Sky Captain said:
From what I've seen, Isis is owned by DC Comics, who have started publishing stories about her and integrating her into the DC Universe and into the narrative of the Shazam/Captain Marvel comic books; sounds like they should be also snapping up and getting the Isis show rights and putting them on DVD as well.
The Isis in this series is different than the one in DCU, the DCU one is a villainess though she had the same name. The Isis from the tv series sort of had some comics from Bluewater and Image though she was different too. Filmation created this take on Isis.. I read that Grammnet (Kelsey Grammar) had licensed Isis for a film or tv series in 2004. Her series has been releaqsed on DVD twice and not from Warners. She isn't owned by DC it seems.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Has anyone recieved their DVDs of Shazam! yet? Mine was shipped on 10/24/12. So far no delivery and no tracking information.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Tory said:
The Isis in this series is different than the one in DCU, the DCU one is a villainess though she had the same name.
Maybe if you're talking current DC characters/universe, but when the show was on CBS, DC did a short-lived comic series that was based on the TV show and used the same characters, but it was a licensed property, just like Welcome Back Kotter (i.e. DC published the comics, but didn't "own" the characters in either case).

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Got mine on Saturday. Only watched the first two. Quality is OK, but I've seen dubs that looked about as good. Still very, very happy to finally have this show in my collection. Now I have all the live-action Filmation classics I need.
I'm very glad they included the morals, but I wish they would give viewers the option of viewing them with individual episode selections, rather than just with the 'Play All' option.

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
Mine came on Friday. It shipped in an unpadded envelope so the DVD case was dinged up (there's a big hole in the plastic), but when I checked out the disc I was thrilled to discover that my DVDs were pressed - not burned - so I can deal with the damaged case and replace it later, rather than return the set and risk getting a burned replacement. They could do better by way of shipping in general, though.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Got a notice saying mine has been shipped, still hasn't arrived. I give them a call if I don't have it by the weekend.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof said:
Got mine on Saturday. Only watched the first two. Quality is OK, but I've seen dubs that looked about as good. Still very, very happy to finally have this show in my collection. Now I have all the live-action Filmation classics I need.
I'm very glad they included the morals, but I wish they would give viewers the option of viewing them with individual episode selections, rather than just with the 'Play All' option.
Hey, David!
The reason WB included the option of watching the morals within the episodes only with the "play all" feature is entirely due to the fact that apart from season 2, all the other morals had to be sourced from lower-quality copies (only the season 2 morals were found amongst the 16mm elements).
I was consulted for this release and for awhile, it looked like the head honchos at WB weren't even going to allow that option (they wanted to do what Entertainment Rights/BCI did with Isis and just include them--by themselves--as a bonus item only). It took some persuasion within the ranks (I know I certainly made a very similar suggestion to what we got) to get them to allow the option we now have on the discs.
I, for one, am glad they at least did this. Yeah, it's inconvenient to not be able to pick-and-choose an episode and have the moral intact (I had suggested branching, but was told it wasn't possible with their duplicating process), but at least the option of watching with the moral included is at least there (unlike on BCI's Isis set, though I think the problem there was perhaps more to do with the rights holder than with BCI themselves).
It's also neat (though repetitive) that WB decided to retain all the commercial break bumpers within the episodes, rather than snip them out (like a lot of DVD companies would have). The "Shazam/Isis Hour" pre-episode mini-bumper on the Season 3 episodes was a nice surprise, too!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
AndyMcKinney said:
Hey, David!
The reason WB included the option of watching the morals within the episodes only with the "play all" feature is entirely due to the fact that apart from season 2, all the other morals had to be sourced from lower-quality copies (only the season 2 morals were found amongst the 16mm elements).
I was consulted for this release and for awhile, it looked like the head honchos at WB weren't even going to allow that option (they wanted to to like BCI and just include them--by themselves--as a bonus item only). It took some persuasion (I know I certainly made my opinions known) to get them to allow the option we now have on the discs. I, for one, am glad they at least did this. Yeah, it's inconvenient to not be able to pick-and-choose an episode and have the moral intact, but at least the option of watching with the moral included is there (unlike on BCI's Isis set).
It's also neat (though repetitive) that WB decided to retain all the commercial break bumpers, rather than snip them out (like a lot of DVD companies would have). The "Shazam/Isis Hour" pre-episode mini-bumper on the Season 3 episodes was a nice surprise, too!
I look forward to hearing about the quality of the set. I can not purchased the set and must wait a few months for it to show up on amazon. I love Shazam as a kid, because of the message it would tell kids each week. I also like how Billy Baton and the Master gone along as they had great chemistry. The winnebago use was great as well, especially some of the dialogue as it related to watching tv or traveling the highways. It is too bad today kids can not experience these type of shows as i am sure the world would be better place!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I think the quality is very good. my only complaint was the dvd case was damaged- not the disks. I called WB and they said they will send me out a new set and I don't have return the damaged one. They said if the price was below a certain amount they can do this. You can't ask for more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks