What's new

Shazam (1 Viewer)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
What are the odds of a re-release of the Isis set? I guess $50 or $60 (seems to be the going rate for one of the out of print sets )
isn't crazy expensive, but if someone else has the rights to that series, it would make a nice pairing with Shazam!
I guess I mistakenly passed on picking up the Isis set thinking I would wait for a Shazam set to come out, now what?!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
derosa said:
What are the odds of a re-release of the Isis set? I guess $50 or $60 (seems to be the going rate for one of the out of print sets )
isn't crazy expensive, but if someone else has the rights to that series, it would make a nice pairing with Shazam!
I guess I mistakenly passed on picking up the Isis set thinking I would wait for a Shazam set to come out, now what?!
Classic Media owns all the rights to Isis at the moment, including home video. They released a "volume 1" set last year, which was, essentially, a re-release of disc #1 of the earlier BCI complete set. It was released at a low price point, but as it's been a year with no announcement of a volume 2, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Glad I still have my complimentary copy of the BCI set (as I contributed to the extras), but wishing I'd followed through on picking up a few additional sets for re-sale when they were being sold at close-out prices (after BCI folded). If I hadn't already had my own copy, I'd certainly have bought at least one for myself then, as they were going for $12.50 or less at the time.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Yes, I like this show a lot and I also liked the message part of the show. I remember listening to the narration in the opening sequence and hearing, "...traveling the highways and byways..." I remember thinking, what the heck is a byway. But of course I was too lazy to look it up.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
dhammer said:
Yes, I like this show a lot and I also liked the message part of the show. I remember listening to the narration in the opening sequence and hearing, "...traveling the highways and byways..." I remember thinking, what the heck is a byway. But of course I was too lazy to look it up.
Why didn't you just google it? :)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Shazam will always have sentimental place in my heart. I was a kid and grew up with saturday morning cartoons. You could say i grew up in era that seen Television Shows transformed. I was born in the late 1960s just as color TV/shows started to gain traction. The along comes the 1970s and saturday morning cartoons took over the airwaves. I remember as a kid loving the fall preview shows coming out to tell us what the new shows would be for saturday morning. I remember Shazam coming out and loving it how Billy Batson would be meet up with the greek gods. The greek gods would give him a cryptic message that would relate to event upcoming in the show.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
You know, I often wondered if "Mentor" was actually the Wizard Shazam :)
Not really. The TV show's character's origin is slightly different from those of the comic character.
Fun fact: while the show was on the air, DC sort of "ret-conned" Uncle Dudley into the Mentor role (the narration at the beginning of the comic said something to Billy travelling with Uncle Dudley, his Mentor). They had him and Billy riding around in the winnebago, and they used that dash-mounted "communication device" to speak to "the Elders" and/or the wizard Shazam, as I recall.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
AndyMcKinney said:
Not really. The TV show's character's origin is slightly different from those of the comic character.
Fun fact: while the show was on the air, DC sort of "ret-conned" Uncle Dudley into the Mentor role (the narration at the beginning of the comic said something to Billy travelling with Uncle Dudley, his Mentor). They had him and Billy riding around in the winnebago, and they used that dash-mounted "communication device" to speak to "the Elders" and/or the wizard Shazam, as I recall.
Yes, I know that - but the idea of giving Billy a mentor must have been inspired by Shazam.
I've read every single DC comic appearance of The Marvels - from 1973, to now. (and not too happy of the changes last year.) That was rather clever of E.Nelson Bridwell (Editor) to use some of the tv show ideas combined with an updating of the "Captain Marvel traveling around The Cities of America" concept in the 1940's. (Billy visits the major cities of America - post WWII) At one point, the comic was all reprints (regular size) for almost a year just to keep the comic on the stand until the revamp. The TV Series influence gave them the direction they needed which they were trying to find after Creator CC Beck quit after issue #10! (at one point they were doing filler issues with just reprints!)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Google it back in the mid-Seventies? Computers were something you saw on sci-fi shows. The idea of having a personal computer would have seemed completely unreal.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
dhammer said:
Google it back in the mid-Seventies? Computers were something you saw on sci-fi shows. The idea of having a personal computer would have seemed completely unreal.
You do understand the concept of sarcasm, don't you?

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I was really just trying to convey the sense, for those of us who grew up before the internet era, how easy it is now
to find out anything we aren't familiar with just a quick web search. Of course the irony of using internet forums
to discuss retro TV shows just makes it that much more cheeky.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Could this be a sneak peek of the package art (except maybe for logo sizing/placement)?
7a23355b_ShazPost.jpeg

It's being given away as a poster at the convention, but looks like it'd also make a nice DVD cover with re-positioning/resizing of the show's logo.
I really, really hope they release at least the initial batch of these on pressed media. Otherwise, I'll be waiting for one of their sales!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Now, if we could just get someone from Warner to confirm whether or not initial quantities of this set will be pressed...
I think they'd get a lot more pre-orders if they'd announce up-front that initial quantities would be pressed, as those interested in such sets (like me) would pre-order to try to ensure getting a pressed one before they're gone.
Saw the news item on TVShowsOnDVD just before posting this. The actual cover is okay. A pity they didn't use the poster art, but it may be a case of them being afraid of confusing customers (as it's a painting representing a live-action show). Wish I could get there to get one, though!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
Does anybody know if this will include the Isis Crossovers?
I'm positive it will only include the three that were produced as episodes of Shazam!. Warner Bros. owns the rights to those three (which are part of the 28 episodes of Shazam!). The other three were produced as part of Isis and are owned by Classic Media. You can bet that those will not be part of this set, because WB would not want to try to pay to licence them out, particularly has they had already been released on DVD in the past in BCI's set. I'm sure if they were to have been included, you'd have seen it in the press release. If you want those, you'll have to track down a used copy of the OOP Isis set from BCI.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I already have Secrets of Isis, bought it for around Ten Bux when it was in the Bargain Bins a few years ago. :D Now it's worth considerably more, since it is OOP. :P
Update: Saw the price for this series on "The Big River". Holy (Expletive Deleted)! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks