What's new

Shazam! (2019) (1 Viewer)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

"World's Funniest", a one-shot graphics novel from a couple of years back, starring Mr. Mxyptklyk and Bat-Mite. It has those two destroying the entire DCU multiverse, going through a large variety of Earths and artistic styles. E.g., 60s-Batman-TV-show-type Earth, WW2-Justice-Society Earth, Kirby's Apokolyps, Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" Gotham City, etc. They ridicule the characters and each other as they go along. E.g., Mr. Mind becomes "Mr. Mindless" as Mxy squashes him underfoot; spreading the worm's (self-proclaimed) "great mind" like "so much apple butter."

At the end, the two dimunitive mass-murderers restore the multiverse -- and make an appointment to do it all again "next Thursday"(!!!)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
First look at Zachary Levi in costume as Shazam!

http://ew.com/movies/2018/07/11/shazam-zachary-levi-costume-photo/

MODS: This thread is 12 years old (talk about development hell!). If it should be a new, separate thread about the actual project that is filming, please feel free to separate.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There are a couple of REALLY old threads floating around about Shazam!, but nothing for the actual film, so here we go! The movie stars Zachary Levi as Shazam, Asher Angel as Billy Batson, Mark Strong as Doctor Thaddeus Bodog Sivana, and Djimon Hounsou as The Wizard. The production has just released the first official image of Levi in-costume from the film:

shazam-zachary-levi-costume1.jpg

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Another still from the movie has been released:

zt8roegs06kfydl22tmb.jpg

Last edited:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
First look at Billy Batson. He and his friend Freddy are big fans of the other DC heroes, to the point of going after weird memorabilia like bullets that are supposedly authenticated to have deflected off the Man of Steel.

Shazam-Movie-Billy-Batson-Freddy-Freeman.jpg

Close up of the Time magazine Black Zero prop (as shared by Shazam! director David Sandberg on Twitter):

5vLUqPw.jpg

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
So now we have a Super Hero film version of 13 Going On 30 and Big. I don't think I'm the target audience for this one.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The trailer looks fun. I think Zach Levi is a great choice for the role.

BTW, isn't this exec produced by Michael Uslan, the producer of all the Batman movies since 1989? He must have bought the rights to the character along the way. Uslan's book, The Boy Who Loved Batman, is a very good, personal tale of his affection for superheroes and how he came to teach the first college-level course on comic books.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So now we have a Super Hero film version of 13 Going On 30 and Big. I don't think I'm the target audience for this one.

This movie looks like great fun. They may be going overboard with the humor, but staying pretty truthful to the original character from the comic book. Billy Batson turns into Captain Marvel(or Shazam as not to be too confusing) by saying "Shazam". Billy has a heart of gold , and Is very heroic and kind. From the look of the trailer, the movie nails the character.

I can't wait.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
They may be going overboard with the humor, but staying pretty truthful to the original character from the comic book.
I'm well aware of the character's history in comics, as Captain Marvel and Shazam. I'm all for an innocent hero who is happy and well adjusted. That's rare in Super Hero films lately. I'm just stuck with the image of Shazam on Saturday morning TV in the 70's. Michael Gray is Billy Batson to me just as much as Christopher Reeve will always be my Clark Kent. Like I said, I'm not the target audience for this one.

The early comics had a tendency to lean far more into fantasy than I ever cared for. The intelligent worm, Mister Mind and the talking tiger Tawky Tawny being two examples. I do think the evil Black Adam is a cool villain and I've read where they are developing a film around him as well. That might be the one I wait and see.
blackadam.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought the trailer looked horrible. Zachary Levi looks terrible and the costume looks cheap. And way too goofy. Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks