Shazam! coming to the big screen....

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this at http://www.cinescape.com

SHAZAM! is the word for Oscar winner
DREAMCATCHER scribe to write his first superhero flick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dateline: Monday, March 24, 2003

By: PATRICK SAURIOL
By: News Editor
Source: Variety

Superhero movies are all the rage with Hollywood these days, but even so today's news was still unexpected. Oscar-winning screenwriter William Goldman has been hired by New Line Cinema to write...wait for it...SHAZAM!

The DC Comics character (also known as Captain Marvel) has been around for decades and was even once a live-action Saturday morning series on TV. Goldman's SHAZAM! will still stick with the source material, that being the adventures of a young man named Billy Batson who transformed into a costumed superhero when he uttered the word Shazam. New Line is eyeing the movie for a holiday 2004 or summer 2005 release.

"I started collecting comics in 1938," Goldman is quoted in today's Variety as saying. "I was a lunatic comicbook lover, and I had everything. (This project) is a big deal for me. I hope I don't screw it up."

Who woulda thought it?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Evan Marriott (Joe Millionaire) looks the part of Captain Marvel (just slick back the hair, and he's dead ringer for the character). Of course, can he act? Probably not.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Um, has New Line SEEN Dreamcatcher?
Heh. Maybe they think he's got another Princess Bride in him

It will be a hard movie to get right, though. Captain Marvel, even moreso than most superheroes, is pretty whimsical and cartoony and even if you did get it right I'm still not sure it would actually be marketable to modern audiences.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Heh. Maybe they think he's got another Princess Bride in him
...or Misery.

Anything I've ever read online states the the old Captain Marvel serial (with Tom Tyler) is "the best comic book movie ever made."

I've always found this interesting because I can't find it anywhere, and it seems that if it is so highly regarded it should be in print somewhere. It definitely makes me want to see this old serial. Hopefully Goldman's script will cause the same reaction.

Incidentally, I recently got to check out the old CBS Saturday morning version on TV Land...I can't believe I loved this program so much as a child...

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Is this WB's way to clean up the mess that Superman has become? I'll be curious to see if this project ever happens...

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I'm really, really hoping they make this as an art-deco period piece. Fawcett City, early 1940s, with Dr. Sivana as the evil super-science villain. Hell, even bring in Talky Tawney.

And if works, do a sequel with Black Adam, Mary Marvel, and Cpt. Marvel Jr.

And if they don't get Alex Ross in as a creative consultant, I'll crap in my hat.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
The Captain America serial is much better, actually. I think the Republic Pictures serial for the Big Red Cheese would not hold up well. It can come across as racist, and it is highly divergent from the light-hearted comic strip.

I'm not sure, but I think at one time Captain Marvel was the best-selling comic book character around. Superman was a better merchandising commodity, but Cap pushed more books. I think. So bringing him to the big screen is not out of the question.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Captain Marvel was the most popular superhero in the 40's - the only way Superman could beat him was in court.

I agree it will be extremely hard to pull this off. It has to have just the right degree of earnestness and humor to do it - it could turn into a real disaster or a true pleasure. The art deco idea would fit it perfectly - in fact Captain Marvel/Billy Batson would probably not be accepted based in the '00's.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm really, really hoping they make this as an art-deco period piece. Fawcett City, early 1940s, with Dr. Sivana as the evil super-science villain
to that idea. This is one film that needs to be as faithful as possible to the source material for it to work.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
in fact Captain Marvel/Billy Batson would probably not be accepted based in the '00's.
Actually Batson could be a poignant 21st Century figure.

Billy Batson: No Father Boaln, I don't want to "feed the lions." Hey, hands off pal! Holy Molee! You asked for it Padre! Shazam!

Could be a sort of Paganism vs. Beauricratic Worship allegory.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgiastevenson