What's new

Shawshank Redemption Question ***spoilers (1 Viewer)

Steve_J

Grip
*** Spoiler Warning for those who haven't seen it

I saw Shawshank Redemption for the first time and boy what a fantastic movie. I just had a question about one part. When Boggs was released from his one-week in solitary for beating up Andy, why did the main guard beat him when he returned to his cell? I never quite caught that. Thanks.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Boggs was beaten by orders from Warden Norton, who wanted to use Andy's skills as a banker for his own needs. When Andy is in solitary and wants to stop helping him, Norton threatens him with "no more protection from the guards."

Steve_J

Grip
Oh yeah! That makes perfect sense...I just never thought of it that way before. Thanks for your reply.

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
Great movie...heard The Green Mile was written by the same screen writer. It was a very good movie, very different for Tom Hanks...IMHO...

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Really? I thought he was beaten by the guard out of some personal 'niceness' towards Andy. That guard actually seemed to be somewhat protecting Andy after the whole Tax favor that he did for him and the rest of the guards.

I think that the guard was helping Andy out because he couldn't do it. Kinda like repaying a favor for the tax help. As far as the "No more protection from the guards", I think that his protection was assumed and not necessarily the order to beat up Boggs.

Nick C.

Second Unit
Really? I thought he was beaten by the guard out of some personal 'niceness' towards Andy. That guard actually seemed to be somewhat protecting Andy after the whole Tax favor that he did for him and the rest of the guards.
no offense but it sounds like the 2 explanations offered have involved thinking too much :) my initial assumption was that each time Boggs "harmed" Andy, Andy would have been unable to perform his various legal/financial work for the guards/warden, so Hadley took care of Boggs so he and the Sisters wouldn't be inhibiting Andy from his duties in the future (in other words, simply for his and the other guards' selfish needs for Andy, nothing altruistic)
IIRC Red was narrating this whole sequence and did not mention the warden instructing Hadley or any other guards to take care of Boggs, but just described the scenario, followed by "and the Sisters never bothered Andy again"

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
But Andy wasn't helping people out financially on a regular basis yet. We had seen him help out the Main Guard, but that was it. The warden doesn't even ask for Andy's services until sometime after Boggs is beaten.

I say, it was just a way of thanking Andy for helping him out with his money problem and nothing more.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I havent watched the movie in a few months but I agree with Jeffrey, I always thought it was the guard thanking him for informing him about the whole one time gift thing.

Might be time to give that disc another spin sometime this week...

JQ

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
My take on that was that the guards thought that Bogg's official punishment wasn't enough, and they did to Bogg's what Andy couldn't.

Glenn

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I agree with the beating being influenced by the Warden himself because at this point, Dufrene became "useful" to him and he would not tolerate Andy being beat upon by a fellow inmate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks