What's new

Shaw Cable and HDTV in B.C. (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
I saw Shaw's HDTV set-top box at Futureshop today. It's $589.00 and uses your cable line instead of a dish.

Anyone have this yet? How many channels of HDTV content are available? Can you rent the box instead?

So far, I can't find any info on Shaw's website yet...

Christopher E

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Allan, you might want to check out the fourms over at www.digitalhomecanada.com for more information about shaw's new hdtv channels. As far as i know there are 4 channels, abc, nbc, a hd demo channel, and some sort of ppv channel. To receive the hd channels you need to buy a motorola dtc-5100 (i don't think you can rent one right now). From what i heard shaw will be adding more hd stations sometime in Q1 2003.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I picked up a Motorola 5100 a week ago. It seems to be much improved over theri past digital box (eg. from channel 60 up you get Dolby - even some 5.1). Also you can use your digital audio connection for chanels 2 to 59 as well. There are 3 HDTV stations as far as I can see. Channel 136 is he best bet, because Shaw seems to take whatever HDTV is being broadcast at that time and put it on this channel. Agreat idea. The NBC and CBS channels will also have some HDTV (channels 138 and 139) Watched the NFL football playoffs on the weekend - unbelievable picture through the component jacks. The only problem I see with this unit is that it has no RDF (?) jack (looks like a serial port) on it. My new Toshiba has this and its supposed to be the wave of the future. Anyways this (Shaw) seems to be the way to go costwise. Especially if you already have their cable and internet package. After the outlay for the box, you cable bill won't increase that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks