Shaw Bros. movies finally to come out on dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Woo, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Henry Woo

Henry Woo Agent

Finally, some light at the end of the tunnel which might indicate that films from the vast Shaw Brothers movie library might see the light of day. A new website has popped up at www.celestialpictures.com.uk/ indicating that they will be licensing these Shaw Brother classics for release on all media. Finally we might be able to have legitimate dvd copies of Hong Kong martial classics from such great directors such as Chang Cheh and Liu Chia-liang.
    Hey, Hong Kong Legends, are you interested. But this time don't forget about us R1 folks.
    This is more exciting to me than the news re: the dvd release of the Phantom Menance.
    Anyone else out there excited about this?

2. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

I would be excited, but your link doesn't work, so I can't check out your information to see what has you so exuberant [​IMG]. But HELL YEAH! Bring on those classic kung fu flicks. I don't think we can expect reference material, but please get them at least letterboxed. Oh, and please please please, make sure they are the horribly dubbed English versions [​IMG]. Brave Archer 1-3 and Avenging Eagle on DVD! I can't wait.

3. Henry Woo

Henry Woo Agent

4. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

5. Henry Woo

Henry Woo Agent

6. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    I want an english-dubbed, 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen dvd of Shaw Bros' INFRA-MAN , in 5.1 "Stereo Infra-sound", so badly, I can taste it! It really isn't the most pleasant of tastes, but still...
    If you're wondering what the heck I'm talking about, go HERE !
    Quite simply, the greatest episode of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 that never happened.

7. ErikG

ErikG Cinematographer

Great news! My favorite is Seven Blows of the Dragon.

8. Henry Woo

Henry Woo Agent

Was hoping for more of a reaction than this so far. Hey guys, this could potentially mean quality dvd releases for such classic movies that the West might know as "Master Killer" (original title "36th Chamber of Shaolin"), "Shaolin Challenges Ninja" (original title "Heroes of the East") and the Five Venoms film. If you thought the Hong Kong martial arts films of the late '80's and '90's were good, you should check out the Shaw Brother classics of the '70's and early '80's.
    They are long buried treasures, particularly the films of Liu Chia-liang (LCL). I regard him as the equivalent of Yuan Ho-Ping (martial arts choregrapher of 'The Matrix'. Maybe these Shaw films have been away from the public eye for so long that most people have forgotten about them or have not been exposed to them. All the more reason for these films to get the quality dvd treatments that they deserve.

9. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

And thank you God, that you didn't allow Tai Seng to get the license for these classic Shaw Bros. flicks!
    ------------------

10. Perry Williams

Perry Williams Auditioning

Just bring on my favorite Jimmy Wang Yu films. "THE CHINESE BOXER aka THE HAMMER OF GOD" & "BLOOD OF THE DRAGON".