What's new

Shatner a true ICON kills it at AFI for George Lucas! (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Thanks for a great post Robert!

Shatting-1.jpeg Shatting-2.jpeg
Shatting-3.jpeg Shatting-4.jpeg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Yep, but in his early days he was everywhere, before that Captain's chair, and he worked with this guy, who by all accounts was no slouch at crafting a film or two

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yep, but in his early days he was everywhere, before that Captain's chair, and he worked with this guy, who by all accounts was no slouch at crafting a film or two

He is such an underatted actor today --- his scenes in the trek films in battle are riveting kind of sad Takei hates him but Shatner shared the stage with Nimoy and Kelley and yes the rest of the cast had their moments but Shatner was the star.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My Pleasure! Why he has not been given the AFI is a shame - tpp bad Spielberg did not use him in the TZ movie to redo his classic appearances on the seriers
He hasn't been given an AFI Lifetime Achievement award because he isn't a film actor/director.

How hard is that to understand?

Apart from the Star Trek films (and four or five very, very minor character roles), his entire career is in TV.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
He hasn't been given an AFI Lifetime Achievement award because he isn't a film actor/director.

How hard is that to understand?

Apart from the Star Trek films (and four or five very, very minor character roles), his entire career is in TV.
Nah he still deserves the award - what a tough crowd yikes! Love ya though always!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
That's being a bit unfair to his career. Shatner has done dozens of dramatic and comedic roles in films long before and after Trek. Check out 1961's "The Intruder" and the 1965 film "Incubus" to see prime examples of his dramatic chops. "Incubus" was even done in the constructed language Esperanto. Try learning your lines in a new language!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That's being a bit unfair to his career. Shatner has done dozens of dramatic and comedic roles in films long before and after Trek. Check out 1961's "The Intruder" and the 1965 film "Incubus" to see prime examples of his dramatic chops. "Incubus" was even done in the constructed language Esperanto. Try learning your lines in a new language!
He has done so much over the years - the work he did in the 5 of the six original cast trek films alone deserves recognition he may never get an Academy Award but AFI yes === they do not seem to have a rule of how many films you need to your credit to get the award. To David has the Emmy Awards honored Shatner?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I grew up in the 80s when the Star Wars/Trek wars were, in terms of overall pop culture, essentially decided in favor of Wars and Trek was alternating good and bad films. Then in the 1990s the parodies of Shatner would hit the airwaves (Jim Carrey was wicked good at it), and then of course the love letter to Trek in the form of Galaxy Quest. So I really only knew William Shatner in what is probably best described as his post-heyday and when the mass media was lampooning him.

But as I've gotten older and seen some of his early work, as well as the original Star Trek TV series (which I avoided as a kid because darn it I was in the Star Wars camp!), my admiration for his talent has only grown. While you can definitely see the mannerisms in ST:TOS that led to the later mockery/mimicry, watching it with fresher eyes as an adult in my late 30s at the time I actually found many of the episodes to be engaging, well acted and well executed. And when the world conspired to make a mockery of him, lesser celebrities would have either acted out in a crazy manner, or disappeared into obscurity...but he grabbed that bull by the horns. It's a metaphor...but that actually happened.

So bravo, Mr. Shatner. I know that clip is going on 17 years old, but it's still funny to see. And now he's been to space, and I'm happy for him to have had that experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks