Sharpvision XVZ9000U, is this a GOOD Price???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Smith, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Jack Smith

Jack Smith Agent

$7,495.00 shipped UPS. It's from a longtime internet business. I must confess, I have no experience with projectors and am thinking about purchasing without seeing the product in action, just depending on the rave reviews. If I do this, it will go in my basement which is approximately 14 feet wide and the distance from the screen to my seating position is 16 to 20 feet. I want a screen size of at least 110-inches. Does anyone know anything about this projector model and can the DVD and Directv/Microsoft units be 20 feet away (by connector cable) from the projector? Also, what is the best type of wire connection? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rest of system:
    Cinepro 3k6II amp for three front speakers
    Cinepro 2k5 amp for four rear surrounds
    SVS sub (pair)
    Klipsch RF7(s), RC7, RS7(s), RF3(s) center surrounds
    Monster Z2 speaker cables
    Denon 5800
    Proscan 60-inch rptv
    Sony S7700 DVD
    Pioneer dts/dd LD
    Monster Z and M series interconnects
    JVC svhs

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Sharp provides a tight reign on the authorized dealers for this pj, and I am almost certain that no Internet dealers are authorized. Thus, you will probably not have a valid warranty from Sharp if you go this route.

Doug

3. Jack Smith

Jack Smith Agent

I did ask about the factory warranty, and this dealer confirmed that it would be valid with the sale. it seems to be the rock & hard place routine. Is it a good price for a non-gray market item?

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For a 110" screensize you will need a mounting distance of approx 14-15ft from the screen and yes, 20ft cables are feasible running form the projector to your equipment. I am using 20ft cables (component and s-video) in my setup.

5. Dave K

Dave K Extra

$7500 is an OK price, better than any B&M retailers. You might want to double check that warrantee claim with Sharp, as Doug_B is right: Sharp does not authorize Internet sales. If you want to try for the cheapest gray-market, get a Japanese Sharp from pricejapan.com. They are only about $5K. You get a remote and manual in Japanese, but you can download the English manual. I bought from a retailer, and I was glad I did when my power supply died. I just took it back and got another...
    Secondly, you may want to make sure you really want to go with a 110" screen. DLP projectors are not all that bright (brighter than CRT, not as bright as LCD), so most people recommend 100", with 110" as the suggested max. If you have total light control, you should be OK. You'll need to mount the projector between 14.5' and 20' from the screen for a 110". Also consider getting a Stewart FireHawk; you'll definitely need a screen with gain.
    For cabling, I've got my Sharp 9000 hooked up with 50 foot VGA and component video cables, and the picture quality is no different than with 6' cables. For cables as long as you are needing, you should seriously consider BetterCables Silver Serpents; they are excellent.
    Dave
    My HT

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Dave, you should also note that PriceJapan is run by Mr. Kwon and on AVS has a very, very good reputation. In fact, his website clearly states that there is a Zero dead pixel policy on all Sharp projectors bought from him.

I will further add that a fellow HT friend of mine in Atlanta bought one from PriceJapan and has been happy ever since. I've seen his unit, before calibration and fed directly from a Panasonic RP-56 onto a 110" Stewart Grayhawk screen and was very impressed.

Jack, if you wish to contact this individual, try using the PM system on the AVS forums--the person has the handle greenhut.

7. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Brae,

Tell your friend to switch to a Firehawk screen and you'll be even more impressed. A Greyhawk is the wrong application for a DLP projector as Dave indicated. Regards.

8. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Jack,
    I promise you if it is an onliner business you have no warranty from sharp no matter how much you complain to them. If this is somehting you are serious about email me privately and I will try to arrange a similar price from an authorized retailer.

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have the Sharp 9000. You are more than welcome to come over and look at it. I have about 30 ft. of cables between the DVD and the unit,

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I would have to agree with Kevin. If there is any chance of Sharp not honoring any USA warranty because of the method of purchase then contact Sharp ASAP and before you buy. It they will not honor the warranty, then save yourself some money and buy from Japan.

Personally, the 'Internet' portion of your post does bother me. Who is this masked dealer, anyway? If its RK Media, forget them. Although it should not be beyond the scope of possability to get the USA warranty product for $7500 as I managed to get a quote for the Marantz VP12-S1 with $1K, also USA product with USA warranty--just not an Internet thing.

11. Kevin_Kr

Jack,
    Your email got deleted, can you please resend.

12. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    This is the same machine that I am currently looking at purchasing. Kevin, Im sending you an email too. :)

13. Don Bingaman

Don Bingaman Extra

I got my 9000 from Uncle's Stereo via SpeedandSound.com for ~ $7800.00 It came in 4 days and works great. Uncle's warrantees the thing themselves - if something breaks in the first year, they arrange to ship it back to New York, fix it, and ship it out, no charge. This may actually be better than Sharp's factory warrantee.

Sharp's Internet warrantee policy smacks of restraint of trade and may be illegal - with the growing popularity of Internet retailing, its just a matter of time before the FTC or a state Attorney General calls them on it.

14. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I did not New York had such a SharpVision repair facility. Also, I wish you well in the only warranty is a retailer warranty. You could gotten the same service from Mr. Kwon over at PriceJapan and paid about $2,500 less.

Oh well, to each his own. Enjoy the Sharp 9000, its a nce pj.

15. Kevin_Kr

gregg
    Didn't get the email as of yet.

16. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Kevin can you call me?
    207 491 6007

Ill try emailing again

Gregg

17. Don Bingaman

Don Bingaman Extra

I doubt that Uncle's actually repairs the Sharpvision themselves - they are such a huge Internet retailer, however, I would guess they figured out how to "twist Sharp's arm". Remember, sales volume is money, and EVERYTHING is negotiable in this business !!

BTW, I'm using mine with a 35' Comprehensive Video RGBHV cable, and it works great. I've got my 100" Firehawk on order !!

18. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I suppose its all about comfort levels. You spent $7800 and feel comfortable enough with buying from someone Sharp has not told you themself that they honor the warranty. Did you call SharpVision, or was this not worth the effort?

Although I was seriously considering the Sharp, not at the local price point of $9K. I was more than willing to seriously consider buying the unit for $5300 (delivered price) and allow the seller the opportunity to repair the unit if need be.

Still, enjoy the system as I know you will be happy. Oh, forgot to ask what sources will you be using?

19. Jack Smith

Jack Smith Agent

Brae...
    Right now I have an old Sony 7700 DVD player (components) and will probably have to find a suitable progressive scan replacement. I also have a Pioneer 606/dts/dd LD and Directv Ultimate, which are both S-cable items. The local dealer dropped the price to 8-grand, so I'm going to bite the expensive bullet and go for the security element. I'm also going to bypass Stewart and get the Draper equivalent of the gray or firehawk. Will use the Denon 5800 as the switcher for everything with the possible exception of the DVD player.

...those of us who are about to die, salute you!

20. Kevin_Kr

Jack I can beat that by about 500 from an authorized retailer with references to back it,.