Sharpness-Direct vs. RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry O. Henderson, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Larry O. Henderson

Larry O. Henderson Auditioning

I am getting close to a new TV. It is basically between the 36XBR450 and , probably, the new Toshiba 43" RPTV. At Sears, yea I know, the salesman was adament that a direct view TV is superior on it's face in sharpness. My concerns are the overall image quality (contrast, sharpness, glare-everything we are after to give the best affect to DVDs). They were running an HD feed from Dish Netword and the Sony did appear to be the best image against a couple of RP HD ready.
    Is this truly a concern. The final purchase will be at a local TV supplier that I have had a lot of luck with and will match anyone's prices but I was in Sears, etc.
    I would assume that we are all just about as discriminating as one another so this is probably a moot question.
    ------------------

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

====(Previous post)
    Since I got my 50H81 RPTV on Aug. 1st, I have been amazed how consistent the colors, details and sharpness my DVD's have been. My TV broadcast signals via an outdoor antenna is not as sharp or focus (depended on signal) vs. my DVD’s, but it's actually no worst than my Direct Tube, and in some cases, . . even better.
    So far, it's just calibrated via Video Essentials (have AVIA but use VE for speed) and everything is just glorioius. It's sharper and more detailed than my 1995 Toshiba 35" Direct View, and I 'was' happy with my 35" (measured http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi
    ====(end of previous post)
    The above comments were posted on August 10, 2001, and although I have not changed my mind on what was written above, I did performed the 64/56?? pt. Convergence (Service Menu - didn't count the points) for
    Input: HD1 / Full and
    Input: ANT1 / Theater Wide #1
    . . .last night, and now the geometry and edge alignment is 100% (completely missed via the 9 pt. conversion option).
    By far, using the Service Menu Convergence option is the most comprehensive adjustment process for color gun alignments and geometry angles across the entire 16:9 screen! The color, clarity and sharpness is very consistent corner to corner!!! [​IMG]
    My $0.02 cents worth,
    Phil
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra
    [Edited last by Phil Iturralde on August 19, 2001 at 01:30 PM]

3. Larry O. Henderson

Larry O. Henderson Auditioning

Phil,
    Thanks for the information. The tuning is a concern as My wife, like many spouces, will drive me crazy the more time I spend dinking with the color, etc. But it sounds fairly easy once you get it close.
    I have around 4 months before jumping in to the wide end of the pool so I can make sure just which TV is for me. Right now one of the Toshibas seem to call my name. I'll keep posting as I get closer.
    Larry