Sharper Image Ionic Breeze?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ikiru, Feb 6, 2002.

1. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

Anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with this type of air cleaner? I have pretty bad seasonal allergies and I am looking to get some sort of air cleaner.

Any other suggestions?

-ikiru

2. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Personally, I like our Honeywell. As for the Ionic Breeze, a former coworker of mine had a terrible experience with it. He had purchased an electronic/ionic filter when he bought his new furnace, and that didn't work. He heard good things about the IB and decided to try it. He let it run for a day, and sure enough, the bands got covered with black gunk. He figured it was working quite well, and decided to clean it. He wiped it like the ad and salesman showed, and almost nothing came off. It took several hours of hard work to finally get the thing clean. He let it dry and put it back in the machine, and the indicator light that tells you to clean it stayed on constantly. He had a 30 day, money back guarantee, and received a major hassle when he returned it after 3 weeks. While I've not had any personal experience with it, this guy's terrible experience is enough to keep me away from it.

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I hate them, I have had two, because I returned the first and I will say they are horrible. What Scott said is the absolute truth about the black gunk that will not come off and the fact that it lasts two days at best. Sure, its quiet, but thats partly because it just sits there unused. I would say stay away if at all possible. Major rip off.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Consumer Reports rated the Ionic Breeze the absolute worst model in last month's issue (out of 14). Stay away...

5. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I've had no problems with mine. There must a newer model out, mine doesn't have a "time to clean" indicator light. Sometimes the bars get a bit black, but rubbing alcohol takes it right off, no fuss.

If you want high filtration, this unit will not provide that. You need a HEPA filter.

One thing the ionic breeze does well, is it freshens the air. I get a periodic "after thunderstorm" fresh smell. This is what ionization does.

6. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I found it to be worthless. The only positive was the easy return for full refund.

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I would install a good electrostatic filter in your furnace and A/C. you might also try a HEPA air purifier that also has a ionizer. I have three models from Holmes like this. Make sure you never use an Ionizer within about four feet of anything with a microchip. It will fry it. I found this out the hard way.

I have heard very little good about the Ionic Breeze, plus, a fan unit like the Holmes will distribute the ionization much better. Unfortunately, HEPA purifiers with ionizers are getting more rare.

BTW, I lived in Grapevine for about three years.

8. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Actually, I don't hear all the Texan jokes I used to. Probably because of all the Damn Californians moving here.

I would really get a Holmes. Mainly because the filters are reasonably priced and easy to find.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor