Sharp zv-12000u projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Clay McCall, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Clay McCall

Clay McCall Auditioning

I am thinking of adding this projector to my home theater. Does anyone have any opinion about this projector?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have seen this HD2 DLP projector action and the image is very nice. The black level was very good. You will need pretty good light control in your room as a side note. The real question is how much are you getting it for (if you don't mind me asking)? Depending on how much it is will determine if other projectors are suggested as an option.

3. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I hosted a comparison of this unit vs my NEC XG135LC + Faroudja DVP 3000 last weekend. We covered it semi-live on another forum. The result - When correctly set up, the Sharp 12000 can exceed the performance of my liquid coupled 8 inch CRT projector in the majority of scenes. Very dark scenes like start fields or Dark City are still won by the CRT. However, in anything brighter than a dusk scene, the Sharp was able to produce a greater illusion of depth and clarity in the image. Some recalibration of its color primaries and secondaries was needed to obtain good color rendition, but once done it has changed my stance on CRT. I can now no longer recommend anything less than a 9 inch CRT for a new install. Below, that a machine equal or better than the Sharp will outperform most CRT's on most scenes. However, be warned, this cannot be generalized to older DLP's. The Sharp 12000 is quite a leap forward from older machines. The Marantz S3 is also something to consider. However, I have not directly compared them critically.

4. Clay McCall

Clay McCall Auditioning

It looks like I can get it for around 7600.00. That is the cheapest that I've found on the web.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Neil,
    It is an HD2+ DLP. From what I can tell and have read, there is a pretty big difference between them.

6. Michael St. Clair

I am really looking forward to seeing the HD3 and xHD3 projectors and sets.

At this point I'm expecting to switch to a digital projector or set in 2005...previously, I thought it would probably be 2007 before I was happy with the price/performance as compared to CRT. So I'm pretty happy with how things are looking.

7. SteveFred

SteveFred Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

Im glad I found this forum [​IMG]

Well this is right off of TI's web-site and does not look good for getting the new xHD3 chip in a front projector.

The company believes that new TVs based around xHD3 will ship before the end of 2004, and anticipates pricing in the $4,000 to $9,000 range. Interestingly, the new 1080p chip will be focused on the rear projection TV market, and there are no plans currently to introduce xHD3 into the front projectors.

So we will see inthe near future

Steve