Sharp XVZ-12000 DLP - OR - HDI Digital Projection???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarcoBiscotti, Mar 27, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm in the process of moving into a new condo-loft over the next few weeks and am getting started on my HT setup, I have electricians running wires this week and am looking into hardware with an HT expert as well.

I've been considering for a long time, the Sharp XVZ-12000 for front projection but have been reccommended Digital Projection instead.

The HT will be in my livingroom which is in a 3-wall alcove off the larger diningroom/kitchen area and 2 of the 3 walls (side and back) are floor to ceiling window.

I've got thin curtains as well as darker pulldown blinds hidden behind and have relative control of the brightness, but certainly nothing ideal for the "perfect" theater setup. I didn't want to put in blackouts, because frankly, I think they look cheap and ugly and didn't want to spoil the aesthetics of my livingroom area.

Anyways, I will be going with a fixed Firehawk Luxus Deluxe screen on my backwall (I have to take floor measurements for exact size) but am asking for advice on whether you think Digital Projection would be the way to go over the Sharp XVZ-12000?

Basically, I am most concerned with contrast, brightness, accurate color display and depth/saturation and progressive scan is a must. I want to have the ability and convenience to adjust for various aspect ratios with ease and accuracy as well.

What do you guys think, I'm definitely going with one of the two projectors... I'm not too familiar with Digital projection but understand it's supposedly top of the line and is what's been used at the Academy Awards for the past 10 years or so...

I want what's best for my setup though. Again, lighting direction in the room is not ideal. It's far from being unworkable though as I definitely have some degree of control and generally speaking 90% of the time end up watching films at night but I'm essentially adjusting the HT around the room and not the other way around.

What are some Digital Projection models I should take a look at if you think that's the way to go?

Could I get better contrast ratio, higher brightness and what about resolution and pixels, least bit noise, etc?

I'm looking primarily at the 3 color wheel models.

I'm not interested in single wheels.

Some features that I liked about the Sharp model aside from the obvious high-res and high contrast, etc were the switchable 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios and the Film Mode which supposedly beautifully reproduces movie film recorded in 24Hz progressive format.

Also, low fan noise is an important aspect for me because the room is relatively small and I have 10-foot high concrete ceilings with lots of depth in the accoustics of the room so sound really resonates and given the tightness of space, a louder fan would really be distracting.

Please help with your opinions and thanks so much in advance!!!

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Hey guys, I could really use your help!

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm looking, I think, to compare with the DVision SX+ from Digital Projection International. I'm looking into specs online right now to decide which would be of close competition. Are DPI projectors generally considered top-of-the-line industry standard? Is there no comparisson at all between what they offer as opposed to the Sharp model I'm otherwise looking at?

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Holy shit, these are priced at like 25k!

What model could this guy have possibly reccommended from DPI instead of the Sharp XVZ12000 that could match specs?

This was one of the only consumer based models I've seen offered that could compete in contrast and resolution, etc. but with every other projector, Sharp seems to knock the block off of the competition...

Any ideas guys?

I was reccommended to look into Digital Projection International but all of their models of equal standards to this Sharp seem to be in ridiculously high price ranges or of professional theatre class. Perhaps you guys are more familiar and could point me in the right direction of a reasonable unit to check out from this company, or at least offer opinion/insight into whether I should even bother or just stick w. the Sharp which was my first choice?

EDIT:

Sorry, please ignore the above two posts and my ignorance.

I'm looking to compare the DPI iVision HD with the SHARP XVZ-12000.

PLEASE POST YOUR THOUGHTS.

I'm having finding reviews of the DPI online...

(it seems to be a much more compact and quieter unit but with a slightly less contrast ratio)

THANKS!