Sharp XV Z10000U vs XV Z12000U

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brian H, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Brian H

Brian H Extra

I am getting ready to upgrade my old Pioneer Elite 50" RPTV to a DLP projector, and I close to buying a Sharp XV Z10000U (certainly there are other choices, but I do try to support my local dealer). Anyway, I see that Sharp has announced a new XV Z12000U projector with the plus chip in it. Just curious if anyone here has experience with either projector, or has comments on whether it might make sense to hold off for the newer model.

Any and all comments appreciated.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have seen the 10000U but I don't yet know much about the 12000U other than the HD2+. The 10KU has a great looking picture for sure, lots of contrast (good blacks). What price can you get it for?

3. Brian H

Brian H Extra

Neil,

Two things..... first, I can pick up my 10K for $7400. I'm sure there are better prices out there, but my dealer has been pretty good to me over the years, so I am going to support him. Second, I did check back with him today on availability and pricing of the 12K. So far, they have not seen one, so there were obviously reluctant to comment about performance over the 10K. One thing they did tell me was that it would be about $3K over my 10K price, so that was the end of that discussion! [​IMG]

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It's going to have better contrast (thanks to dimple fix on HD2+ chip), but be even dimmer than the 10000.

5. Brian H

Brian H Extra

Okay, thanks. As for either the 10K or 12K being dim, I don't think I'll have an issue because I am in a room that I can make completely dark, and I am projecting on to a Stewart Firehawk screen. I'm going to plunk my cash down today....