Sharp & Sony Projectors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SamC, Nov 11, 2001.

1. SamC

SamC Agent

Just after a little advice.
    I have found a Sony "VPH 1041QM" CRT projector, & a Sharp XV335P on Ebay here in Australia, and they are going pretty cheaply.
    Thought that it might be a good way to get a big picture for now until I can afford a good quality 'expensive' projector, but I won't bother if they are not particularly good displays.
    Also, I only have a tiny flat for now, and space is an absolute premium, so a little projector is about my only option for big picture. Large TVs are totally out.
    Does anyone have any experience with these projectors, or any better ideas. The extent of my knowledge (which is probably wrong) on these is that the CRT would be better quality, and not suffer from pixelation. It also has better inputs (Component, S-Video, VS just S-Video on the LCD).
    Any help greatly appreciated,
    Cheers, Sam

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

3. Huey

Huey Agent

Not to start an digital vs. CRT war but other down-sides of CRT is their weight (over 100#), size (small coffee table), harder to install (sheer weight and size make it hard to mount), need of calibrations (convergence), outboard processing (HTPC, scaler, deinterlacer, input board, etc.).

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

The 1041 is a video only projector. That being said it won't accept a progressive signal or any type of scaled signal. If the tubes are in good shape and it can be had "real cheap" I would say get it. There are many that have crt's installed under tables, so you wouldn't have to mount it to the ceiling if you didn't want to. I don't know what your definition of small is, but a crt projector isn't. Don't know anything about the Sharp, but if you want to watch movies with much ambient light in the room you should look at LCD/DLP projectors.
    Tim

5. SamC

SamC Agent

Thanks for the advice guys, didn't realise (realize for you Americans) that the CRTs were so big.
    Given space considerations, I think LCP/DLP will be the ony option.
    When I say 'tiny' flat, i mean really small. Viewing distance is only 10 feet from eye to screen, but as there is no room for a RPTV, the only way to go for a big picture seems to be Plasma style display (way too $$$) or FPTV - but not zoomed too big.
    I have tried the LCD from work a couple of times, and it seems to do the job in terms of size etc. It's a new portable data projector & pretty expensive so out of the question for now, but one question still begs...
    How big is too big? Is there a "magic formula" for screen size, or is it just a matter of finding a comfortable viewing size. Obviously Big is Beautiful, and makes a lasting impression, but is there a point where it becomes too much???
    Thanks again for any advice.