What's new

Sharp or Sony 52" 1080p LCD (1 Viewer)

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
I just found out that the new and slimmer Sony 55" SXRD-XBR2 Rear projection TV will only be available in Canada next March. With my wife pressing me for a new HDTV, I have to pick something else. Due to our viewing room size, my wife and I have decided that 52"-55" will be the optimal screen dimensions for our set. My only other criteria is that the set has to be full 1080p and that the picture quality has to be great. I have narrowed down my choices to either the new Sharp 52" Aquos LCD or the Sony KDL 52XBR2 or 3 LCD. Can any fellow forum members provide me with input that might help me in deciding? Have I omitted any other potential candidates? I saw the latest Toshiba Redza line and was very impressed with the picture and price. Unfortunately the largest set is only 47". I have omitted Samsung since I am concerned with their reliability and after sales service. Many Thanks!!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
The Sharp Aquos LC-52D62U and Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR2 would be my top two picks for 1080p LCD's in your size requirement. Personally I lean towards the Sharp, but I'm biased as I own a D90 set.

I'd absolutely avoid the Toshiba set in any case, they are outsourced to Orion in Thailand, and quality control has dropped dramatically. The Samsung LCD's are actually very reliable (in fact Samsung and Sony share a glass panel production plant in South Korea for all their LCD's), but both the Sony and Sharp blow away the Sammy in terms of overall picture quality (in my not so humble opinion).

Last but not least, don't forget to audition the new JVC D-ILA 56" HD-56FH97 Rear Projection set.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My personal choice would definitely be the JVC D-ILA 56" HD-56FH97 Rear Projection set, unless you absolutely must hang the set on the wall or watch it from extreme angles. Better contrast ratio and no pixel structure visible on screen, and much lower price.

Between the Sharp and Sony I'd go with the Sharp. I've seen the 42" versions side by side running the exact same feed and the Sharp has truer reds (Sony reds are ever so slightly orange). The Sony also seems to have a bit more red push--when both are adjusted for perfect facial tones the Sonys other colors are muted compared to the Sharp's. If you bring up the color on the Sony to match the Sharp, the fleshtones are too overexaggerated.

Hank_P

Second Unit
does any of these newer TV's have HDMI 1.3 inputs? Either of these Sharp, Sony, or the new JVC HD-ILA?

The JVC looks sweet, but no one really mentions if the inputs are HDMI 1.3 and would like to make sure I'm not locking myself out for HD or BR.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
There are no TV's on the market with HDMI 1.3; you won't find any under next Spring for the most part. I wouldn't use this as a consideration in purchasing your new set, unless you plan to wait for next year, and even then I would expect prices to be inflated for the first 6 months on HDMI 1.3 devices.

The JVC is fully capable of 1080p, so you will be able to take full advantage of HD and BR capabilities today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks