Sharp FP and processor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John A. Edmond, Mar 9, 2002.

1. John A. Edmond

John A. Edmond Auditioning

I'm considering purchasing a Sharp 9000 Front Projector to view HDTV and dvds. I'll be using an 84" screen. My question is this: Do I really need to purchase a separate video processor? The review in Home Theater (Jan. 2002) suggests that it may not be neccessary because the scaler in the Sharp is actually good. I'm not convinced that the cost of the processor really warrants it. I suppose I could buy it without a processor and see if I like it. Any thoughts? I'm also advised that even with a separate processor , if I use an HD satellitetuner the processor could not be hooked up so that non-HD channels would be processed. That is, it would only be used to enhance dvds. Does this sound right?

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

John:

The consensus on DVD processing is that there is NO internal processor that can come anywhere close to the quality of an HTPC. Even the most expensive external processors don't do better than HTPC. So if you want the best picture quality (and without even having to pay much!), go with an HTPC.

As for an external processor for satellite, what I've read is that a really good external processor hooked up to the s-video output of a satellite receiver gives a better picture on non-HD material than the receiver's internal processor. It's your call on whether it's worth it.

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

John,
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that non-HD material cannot be processed by a scaler. I certainly didn't way that. [​IMG] It's one of the reasons that Faroudja came up with DCDi. You can run any signal through a video processor that matches one of its inputs. Only hi-def is passed through unaltered (hence the term hi-definition pass-through).

4. John A. Edmond

John A. Edmond Auditioning

Bill: What I heard was that if you hook up the processor through a satellite HD tuner you would be able to pass through the HD signal but not also process the regular direct tv channels. In other words, the processor is used for dvds, vhs, but not regular non-HD channels. Unless you used 2 satellite tuners, one solely for non-HD channels. I've got to admit it sounds strange. Does it have anything to do with switching from pass- through to non-pass through while using the satellite tuner? Or am I completely off base?

5. Ron AZ

Ron AZ Agent

John...I just viewed the SHARP-9000, once with a scaler/controller and once without a scaler/controller while watching DVD. The scaler/controller made a large difference when viewing DVD's. Any good home theater store should be able to 'demo' both for you.. for only YOU can decide what is best for you and at what price. You could always look for a used scaler/controller later on, as an option. Good Luck... Ron AZ

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Wow, I guess Ron feels STRONGLY about his post. LOL!!!!!

John, Hi-def receivers have more than one output. You can use the pass-through for hi-def viewing and then switch over to the S-Video output as Robert suggested. A good scaler will help the signal although it can't make it perfect (the old garbage in, garbage out thing). Regards.

7. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I am using my Sharp 9000 without a processor right now...but I intend to try out a Key Digital Leeza in the very near future. I thought I heard there might be difficulties in getting true pixel counts of 1280x720 with the Sharp.