Sharp 9000U, Firehawk Screen, several questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Dail, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Alan Dail

Alan Dail Auditioning

I'm building a home theater in my basement. I think I've narrowed the projectors down to the Runco VX-1000c or the Sharpvision XV-Z9000U. There is a huge difference in cost here for two projectors who use the same display technology, especially if I order the Sharpvision from PriceJapan.com.

Anyway, the main question here is, from reading this board last night, I see the Steward Firehawk is by far the best screen to get. I can't find any sources online that have prices for this screen. What I'm looking for is around a 116" wide 16:9 display. About how much will this cost? The room has no light source at all, so I expect the projector will be able to put a good picture on a display this wide.

Also can you put the center speaker behind these screens?

btw - the room will be around 12'x25' - I can't make it wider, but can change the length of the room if I need to . The room will be about 7' 8" tall. I could make the front 12' of the room 9' tall if I did away with drop ceilings, but I thought it'd be better to make it all the same height, especially since the projector would be in the back 3rd of the room. Am I better off to put the projector as close to the screen as the throw range allows, or further back?

I had a Runco 750 at my old house, this time I want something wide screen with a great picture - the runco I had was great for DVD movies, but didn't work as well on things like football games.

How hard is is to install the Sharp? If I get it from PriceJapan, will the lack of english instructions/remote be a problem? How do I mount it to a drop ceiling? Is the fan noise noticable - it'll be pretty much right where we're sitting.

Alan

2. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Hi Alan. Check out www.avsforum.com for answers to all your questions. (The over digital over $5000 forum) They also sell screens so you can get in touch with them regarding prices. Good luck.
    TimG
    Personally I think the Runcos are overpriced, but that is just my opinion.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I agree that you should check out the AVS forum. I bet you'll get feedback suggesting that 116" may be too wide for the 9000, even with a Firehawk. Don't know if a higher gain screen than the Firehawk will compromise other aspects of the image, though, such as blacks or contrast ratio. Stewart screens are available that let you place a center speaker behind them (microperf?). Don't know if they're available for all models, though.

Are you aware that the next generation DLP projectors (with the HD2 chip) are around the corner? Some models should be available this quarter (what level of availability is another question entirely).

Doug

4. Alan Dail

Alan Dail Auditioning

Yes - I saw on here that HD2 based systems are to be out soon. Anyone have any ideas if the price for a Sharp 10000 will be close the deals that can be currently found for the sharp 9000 - the sub $5000 price at PriceJapan.com is quite appealing. It'll be several months before the basement is ready.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    A centre speaker probably will not work to well with the Firehawk. Just in case you don't already have it, here is the url for Stewart Filmscreen.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The VX-1000c can handle a screen of that size. The 9000u will be marginal at that size.

The firehawk is currently not available in THX microperf, but they're considering it. They don't want to ruin the pins on the perforation machine, so they're waiting until they're almost worn out before trying it. Otherwise, the firehawk is an excellent choice for DLP, since it's still a gray/silver based screen.