Sharp 9000?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Al Spencer, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Al Spencer

Al Spencer Auditioning

I'm a newbie to the fight. I really like the forum. I have a question that hopefully some of you can help me with. I have an opportunity to get a Sharp 9000 that was a demo unit with low hours plus a new bulb for $4500. Is this a deal or with newer technology that's out, would it be better to go withsomething less expesive (such as the Sanyo Z2 or Panasonic 500 or the Sony HS20)? I know these are different technologies being DLP vs LCD but I just want to know your thoughts Thank you any help you can give.

2. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

I although I am sure that the Sharp 9000 has some more features like lens shift I think you would be better off to get a Benq 8700 with the HD2+ chip which would be about the same price maybe less if you get a great deal.

The Sharp 9000 has HD1 which was the first HD DMD.

3. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Al
    Where at?

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There are many newer pj's (some of them better) that are at a cheaper price range than the 9000 was/is.

5. Al Spencer

Al Spencer Auditioning

Thanks for your reply. I had established a good relationship with a sales manager at a town I used to live in. It's a local AV specialty store there.

6. Al Spencer

Al Spencer Auditioning

Craig,

Thank you for your reply. I had looked into the Benq 8700 and considered it, but I have been unable to demo it. I was wondering about it's performance because it seems projectorcentral.com gave it a few mixed reviews. What are your thoughts?

7. Al Spencer

Al Spencer Auditioning

Thanks for your reply.

8. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Al,

I have not seen the 8700 myself so I perhaps should not recommend it. The Sharp 9k is relatively out of date in the product cycle. Again this projector uses the first TI 16x9 DMD the HD1 that is not capable of the contrast ratio of the newer DMDs. Projector central gave the new version of the 8700, the 8700+ because it has the HD2+ DMD, a good review overall.

I am in the market for a FP unit and if it was the Sharp 10k at that price I might consider it, but definately not the 9k.

Good luck