Sharp 27" Flat Screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSchmidt, Mar 1, 2002.

1. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

I saw this at Best Buy today and the picture was amazing when compared to the Toshiba 27" Flat Screen (which I was going to get, but now the Sharp is appealing more to me). My question is, has anyone heard anything on this model or the quality of a Sharp TV? Because the picture looked amazing, much better than any at the store, so I'm thinking of picking it up rather than the Toshiba. Plus it's 50 bucks cheaper. What would you guys do?

2. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Seems to be lacking a bit in the features department compared to the Toshiba. This one only has 1 S-video input and no component inputs. I've owned a few products by Sharp over the years, and they've all been pretty bad and have had problems. I'd steer clear if I were you.

3. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

It's got two s-video and one component. Anyone else have bad experiences with Sharp products?

4. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

.....Anyone? [​IMG]
    Here's another link with more information. Is it any good?

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I've owned 3 Sharp low end direct view tvs over the years (still have two!) and I'd say that for an average every day use tv (the two I still have are a 13 inch in the kitchen and a 20 inch in the workout area), they're pretty decent. I used to have a 25 inch Sharp but that turned out inadequate for the tv/movie room. If you're looking for a more detailed critical view, then I'd say, based on what I found with Avia, that Sharp's push red a lot, don't have good convergence (my 20 inch looks a little like a Christmas tree on the convergence test pattern) and, at least in the case of the 25 inch, had way too much overscan. But I haven't seen any of their flat tube sets so I can't comment on those.

cheers,

--tom

6. David_D

David_D Stunt Coordinator

I've frequently thought about this one for the bedroom. It looks pretty nice in the store display and does the squeeze. My only experience with Sharp products is a 20" TV that is now in the bedroom. It has operated without a single problem for close to 17 years.