What's new

SHARKTOPUS . . . Utter Junk, Or Potential Hit? (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I'm gonna start off by saying I have yet to see one of these made-for-SyFy channel creature features that have been any good. For one, the CGI critters are too CGI-shallow for me to really believe in their existence, and whom ever is green-lighting these movies seems to have a ready made template made for them, for all of them involve some kind of elite unit that has to go into a jungle, forest, or confined space, and shoot it out amongst other human enemies before the monster weighs with it's two cents. Essentially, these monsters end up being supporting characters within their own damn movies. That's right, they're action movies disguised as monster movies. Frustrating to say the least.

Okay, now having stated all that, I generally get pulled in by their trailers and, in my opinion, that's the only format they're successful in -- the short, short film (i.e. their trailers). This one in particular, I would love to be a success, the trailer is excellent, even if the monster looks oh-so-CGI.My gut says, though, it's gonna blow big time.

It's coming on this Saturday at 9 pm.

[SIZE= 10px]EDIT: By the change in my title, I assume swearing on this forum should be kept to a minimum, or none at all. Good to know, because I can get fairly potty mouthed, at times, when I'm posting. Haven't yet, so far, but good to know regardless. Can't use 'crap' either? Okay, no problem.[/SIZE]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Title has been edited. See HTF Rule 11:

11. We assume that everyone here is an adult, and we expect everyone to act like it. This also means that we do not screen or remove content to prevent minors from being exposed to mature subject matter; that decision belongs to their parents or guardians. Nevertheless, we want HTF to remain professional in both tone and appearance. So please do not use profanity to excess, and please do not use any profanity (whether mild or harsh) in the TOPIC/SUBJECT header of a post or thread, because those may appear on the Main Forum Page or on other featured pages.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Okay, no problem. This is the first forum I've been on that has been deemed kid-friendly, so-to-speak. Not use to that. Whoopsy. How about pseudo-swear words. I'm partial to frak, motherfrakker, jackhole, jack-wagon . . . are these acceptable, cause I could get used to 'frak.'

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by SWFF

Okay, no problem. This is the first forum I've been on that has been deemed kid-friendly, so-to-speak.

If you read the Rule, it says the opposite. (The title of the Rule is "A site for adults".) We think of it as "professional".

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I have a habit of skimming posts really quick, when I'm in rush to do something, and occasionally it means I tend to miss the point of whatever given post I have deemed skim-worthy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I'm looking forward to this. I like these D-grade creature features, if only to see how much more ridiculous they can become. They seem to do well in the ratings, too. I think Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus and Mega Piranha were two of SyFy's highest rated movies in a long time.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm R
They seem to do well in the ratings, too. I think Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus and Mega Piranha were two of SyFy's highest rated movies in a long time.

I am constantly perplexed by this. They actually do DO well in the ratings, don't they? Still can't figure that out.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
My tolerance had been reached with that ridiculous MEGA-PIRANHA. I mean, come one, they were big enough to eat a helicopter, and that scene I saw on the web of that guy defending himself by repeatedly kicking them away, well, I thought, it looks like SyFy has finally reached their all time low. I'm really rooting for this SHARTOPUS though, but, there's a little voice inside me, saying, it's gonna suck bad!

There's actually one coming next summer called, SWAMP SHARK, that, again, doesn't look all that bad. They've already got the trailer up for that one.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Here's a toast to the next Syfy Original Movie, which will likely feature (throw dart):

(A) Nazis

(B) Gargoyles

(C) Cloning

(D) Mutation

(E) Guns

(F) All of the above.

At least they're keeping Lou Diamond Phillips employed on a new Stargate series, instead of an SS Doomtrooper. I'm just waiting for them to greenlight Ice Spiders: The Series, though.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
My verdict has been rendered, utter shit. Well, I did last 38 minutes on this one. Typically, I'm out of the flick by the 20 minute mark, but I pushed myself this time, hoping it would get better. It didn't. I will say this for it, the movie had some really hot chicks on display. I can't believe Corman made a cameo in this god forsaken mess.

I'm gonna shower now and head back into the dark and violent underbelly of BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD.

This is Shawn Francis, signing off for the night . . .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek feel to the whole thing...it even had it's own theme song...but admit it was too silly to really hold my attention for the whole film.

The constant roaring of the beast really bothered me, too. As far as I know, neither sharks nor octopus can vocalize, so unless the scientists wasted time and money to bioengineer something as pointless as the ability to roar, the beast should have been silent. A nitpick, I know, in a film as ridiculous as this, but those are the things that can really ruin a film for me, even one as cheezy as Sharktopus.

Though I will say this appears to be fine art compared to Dinocroc vs. Supergator, the first 15 minutes of which I caught after Sharktopus. There were so many silly and wrong things in the first 15 minutes of that flick, everyone involved should be ashamed. I definitely couldn't watch any more of that.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
The constant roaring of the beast really bothered me, too. As far as I know, neither sharks nor octopus can vocalize, so unless the scientists wasted time and money to bioengineer something as pointless as the ability to roar, the beast should have been silent. A nitpick, I know, in a film as ridiculous as this, but those are the things that can really ruin a film for me, even one as cheezy as Sharktopus.

Yeah, these kind of inaccuracies bother me, too, when I'm watching certain flicks. Well, the whole idea of a shark/octopus hybrid is already preposterous from the start, the added roar is just adding insult to injury.

Originally Posted by todd stone

horrible

It was. It really was. The only thing, I think, that was keeping me glued to the set were the chicks that kept popping up from time to time, but in the end even those bathing suit beauties still couldn't pull the movie out of the dreck it was wallowing in. Too bad.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
I saw it and hated it. Why did I watched? I had company that loved it. The SciFi channel (or whatever it is called now) has been reduced to a few "good" programs.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
The only shows I watch religiously on that network are GHOST HUNTERS, DESTINATION TRUTH and EUREKA. And what the hell is wrestling doing on it?! Like most networks that start out, they start out good and then get homegenized, or something. I remember when TNT, TBS, AMC and USA used to be pretty good networks, then something went horribly wrong. AMC's "conversion" is the greatest tragedy, if you ask me.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I loved the awfulness that was SHARKTOPUS! It's funny bacause it's so bad.

The introduction of the hero character has him holding his breath underwater in a jacuzzi. Full head shot on the camera. While the camera is still underwater, he slowly rises up out of the water. The immediate next shot shows him surfacing, suddenly wearing a sombrero that was nowhere to be found in the previous shot! It just materialized out of thin air! Seriously, how did the editors miss that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks