What's new

Sharkslayer? (1 Viewer)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Anyone hear of this film? It's Dreamworks' CG animated film for winter 2004. It's a twist on the mob genre with fish! Will Smith, Robert DeNiro, Angelina Jolie, Renee Zelweger, and Martin Scorcese (as a pufferfish with big eyebrows and rapid-fire delivery) do the voices, among others.

I saw an ad for it in The Hollywood Reporter and it sounds like a blast.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I hadn't heard of this, but you have GOT to be kidding me. First there's the whole "A Bug's Life" vs. "Antz" fiasco. Now Dreamworks is going to do it again. Look at Pixar's "Finding Nemo."

And now you're telling me that Dreamworks is going to do a CG film with fish too? This is just ridiculous.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, there is going to be over a year between them, since Nemo will be out this summer. I suspect that PDI's film will be quite different from Nemo. I'm looking forward to it.

Jason

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Sharks are getting to be an endangered species. I know this is going to sound oh-so-PC, but I'd rather not support anything that smacks of a "KILL THE SHARKS!" mentality. Even Peter Benchley, who wrote Jaws, is working hard to undo the damage (hatred of sharks) his book and the movie (which I dearly love) encouraged.

Sharkslayer?? I don't think so.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I stand by my comment that this is going to come across as EXTREMELY derivative of Finding Nemo, especially given the huge success of FN. I mean, really, who isn't going to look at this and think it's monkey see, monkey do?

EDIT: AAAUGH!!!! I just looked at the official site and the character designs are HIDEOUS!!! Those have got to be some of the worst things I've ever seen.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I'll wait to see them in context of real animation before I judge this...
Good lord, you're much more forgiving than me. If you think the characters are going to improve within the context of the movie, just think about looking at a photograph of Marty Feldman. You don't need to watch Young Frankenstein to figure out he's not going to turn into the most handsome guy in the world once he's on film.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You don't need to watch Young Frankenstein to figure out he's not going to turn into the most handsome guy in the world once he's on film.
But in the context of Young Frankenstein, he was perfect for what they were going for. That's my point. :D

Jason

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's a mafia parody, and they change the name from something distinctive and slightly menacing like "SharkSlayer" to a boring milquetoast name like "Shark Tale." What a bunch of gutless wads.

Not the most appealing looking characters; however, being a mafia parody, the character designs seem to fit the theme.

Galen_V

Second Unit
Not the most appealing looking characters; however, being a mafia parody, the character designs seem to fit the theme.
...and the actors who are voicing them. Look at the faces of Robert De Niro's and Martin Scorsese's characters-it almost looks like a copy and paste job (especially Scorsese). The Rasta looking jellyfish aren't that bad though; a bit stereotypical, but somewhat creative.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Trailer at ComingSoon

Making a bad movie sucks. Making a bad "fish" movie a little over a year after Nemo must really suck.

Edit: perhaps a thread title change is in order.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I saw USA TODAY claim that Shrek changed the face of animation.

Maybe the future flops Chicken Little and SharkTale will change it back.

Make no mistake - I hope every single film executive and every single film studio that eliminated a hand-drawn animation job trying to chase the Pixar/Shrek/Ice Age CGI puppetry trend winds up drowning and choking in a sea of red ink.

It's not the technology, it is the story and the creativity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks