Shark Tale - Reference Quality!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Rob Tomlin, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I watched this tonight with my young ones.

Definitely reference quality. Excellent detail, incredible color without bleeding, and no color banding to be seen. Very clean picture without artifacts. Very nice!

The soundtrack could have been a bit more exciting, but it wasn't bad either.

I didn't see a review of the DVD here. If there is, I apologize for starting a new thread.

2. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

I wasn't too impressed with the actual film, but I definitely agree with you on the picture quality. Very colorful and vibrant throughout the film. No complaints about the soundtrack either.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I usually buy every animated movie sight-unseen, but since they put a forced trailer for Shark Tale on the Shrek 2 disc, I won't be getting it.

4. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

And I agree with you regarding not being overly impressed with the actual film. Not horrible, but definitely nothing special either. Certainly not even close to being on par with Shrek, Toy Story etc.

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I thought it was almost unwatchable Rob. Have you seen The Incredibles? Let's hope that gets a reference quality transfer as well, should look spectacular.

6. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Nick- my wife took the kids to see The Incredibles and she said it was really great! Looking forward to that one!

I certainly don't feel the need to watch Shark Tale again, but I am sure I will see bits and pieces as my girls will continue to watch it.

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

PQ was phenomenal...almost 3D in places. Not sure how this will rate in WSR, but if its not 5+ for PQ, I don't know what is.

In contrast to Nemo, which was obviously a much better film, I thought the PQ of Shark Tales was better...brighter colors, better textures, better depth.

I think Nemo went for a more realistic depiction of the underwater scenes...almost hazy at times, whereas ST was like you were watching it play out in an aquarium with very clean glass.

SQ was nothing spectacular though, and I thought the dance number after the credits was mixed a bit oddly....the music was down too low in the mix for a scene taking place in a Disco.

BGL

8. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Count me in among those that just did not care much for this film at least the half of it I watched before falling asleep. The DVD is alright overall, but damn them for forcing another Matigasgar (sp?) trailer on us.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

There's ANOTHER forced trailer on the Shark Tale disc?? Now I'm REALLY glad I didn't buy it!
    I'll never see "Madagascar", even though it hasn't even been released yet.

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

A new Wallace and Grommit film, and Madagascar.

Supremely annoying...seems that you can only FF through it. Now don't get me wrong, I love W&G, but spare me the forced trailers...and while I rant, there is no booklet in the box, and the case has those lame-ass security snaps.

But I can almost forgive that in exchange for the PQ...eye popping, to be sure.

BGL

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I agree Brian!

12. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

The picture quality of Shark Tale is incredible, and I don't think I've seen anything as good yet. It looks 3D in many scenes and feels like I'm watching a real scene through a supremely clean glass.

As for the audio, nothing spectacular there unfortunately. There seemed to be very little surround activity and only fairly decent use of the LFE channel.

The movie itself, well, I actually prefer it over Nemo, as I was never a huge fan of Nemo. De Niro was very good, and I thought Will Smith had some good, funny moments.

What boggles my mind is why Colin Jacobson didn't give the PQ an A+ on DVDMG

13. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I have to agree with the video aspect comments here. It was the first movie that I saw on my new SP4805 FP that really made my draw drop. It had huge 3D effects. As fo the movie itself.......I thought it was borderline terrible. Too bad with the cast that it had. I think it is too dated....in 2 years the humor is going to just be old and irritating....unlike Shrek and Nemo which I think will remain classics in that genre. I personaly whish I did not buy it sight unseen but I wasn't the first time or will it be the last time a make a that mistake.....

14. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Got my WSR today (The Incredibles are on the cover)

Shark Tales gets a 5 for PQ (Reference Quality), same as The Incredibles.

Come to think of it, I don't know if I have ever seen a 5+ for PQ. I know they do it from time to time WRT Sound Quality, but I don't recall any 5+ PQ scores.

They only get a 3.5 for sound....not sure I would go that low, but I certainly agree its not a 5.

BGL

15. Tony_Ramos

Tony_Ramos Second Unit

I love WSR. Their PQ and Audio scores are spot-on in my opnion, and And there's no question they give the best reviews of disc audio. Many other magazines actually DOWNGRADE the score if the surrounds are used TOO MUCH!!!

And they use critic's composites instead of giving their own score of a movie, like other magazines do, which you'll undoubtedly disagree with. I hate it when magazines start criticizing your fav movie ! [​IMG]

16. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I hear you, Tony!

What really kills me are the DVD reviews in A Perfect Vision....they usually say NOTHING about the Picture or Sound...they just review the film.

Well, thanks a pantload, but thats just nuts. There are plenty of sources for film reviews...I need to know about the quality of the DVD.

Ultimate A/V started heading that way too, before they went tango uniform.

And since I have audiophile and videophile's disease, I may on occasion actually buy an album or movie that absolutely sucks, if it has great picture and/or sound.[​IMG] Pearl Harbor, anyone????

BGL

17. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

That's not just anal . . . that's straight butt!!!

I hope every studio puts forced trailers for EVERY upcoming movie and DVD so you'll never get to see another one. How lame.

18. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I agree with Mike Williams... I mean, I hate forced trailers too but let's not exaggerate folks! They can easily be fast forwarded, and if your DVD player doesn't do 100x, then maybe it's time you got a new player. At 100x fast forward, the forced trailers are done with in a matter of seconds.

19. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Many other magazines actually DOWNGRADE the score if the surrounds are used TOO MUCH!!!

I guess it must be a matter of taste, but obnoxious use of the surround tracks is a big flaw with any mix, in my opinion. Reinforce the action, localize sound f/x when absolutely necessary for an immersive effect, but the action is playing on the front stage, that's where the sound should primarily centered, with the rears used for support.

So yes, Tony, I think using the surrounds too much can indeed be a very bad thing. Some people are more into their gear than into the movies, and because they have rear speakers, they want to hear some sound coming out of them to justify their purchase. That's fine for some, it's not cool for me. Just my personal tastes.

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Marketing people must just loooove you [​IMG]