Shark ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Jul 25, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I saw a preview for this new show on CBS. And it looks like it could be pretty good. I like the premise and James Woods. So hopefully, it will live up to my expectations...

From www.thefutoncritic.com

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I am also a James Woods fan, but some of the ads I have seen for the show seem to have him acting a bit "over the top". I hope this show doesn't jump the shark too soon. [​IMG]

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Also: Spike Lee directed the pilot. Spike Lee. If that's the kind of resources they intend to throw at it on a regular basis...

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The daughter, Julie (played by Danielle Panabaker), holds her own against Woods, and their relationship dynamic was off to a decent start in the pilot. Woods does chew the scenery, but that's written into his lawyer character with a theatrical flair for performance in front of the jury. I enjoyed it.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just a reminder the premiere airs tonight in the 10 spot (EST) on CBS.

6. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    I saw the show, and have to say, I thought it was really good. Kind of like Justice, but for the other side.

This is my first time seeing James Woods in something, other than an animated appearance on Family Guy. I don't think I've seen any of his movies.

7. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I liked it too. I find most lawyer shows to be all the same and really don't cover much new ground, but this one takes a focus on the characters and not the cases.

8. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

This was far better than Justice (which is simply awful), although I'm not buying the courtroom in the basement bit. Woods is great and it's good to see and (almost) gimmick free, old fashioned entertainment for a change.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Sarah Carter seems to have gotten even prettier in this 2nd episode. Her voice is a bit too squeaky to take seriously, though.

I like Shark, the character, just because he's always moving forward, pushing people's buttons, playing things off to his advantage.

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Surprise there isn't more talk about this show, it really kicks ass. Glad I found it by channel surfing one late night, I got my brother and my uncle addicted! [​IMG]

Anyway, the production value seems high but hopefully CBS won't cancel this one. Shark and the Office are the only shows I watch regularly.

11. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    A few things about this show bug me, like DAs going to trial while still gathering evidence and building a case, and the justice system moving from arrest to sentencing in the time it takes Julie to do a homework assignment.

Nevertheless, I enjoy this show immensely. The development of the criminal cases usually contain pleasantly unexpected plot twists, and the relationship between Stark and his daughter is genuinely heartwarming.

And, yes, I know that the writers undoubtedly know better than to think that the wheels of justice turn the way they depict, and I accept the compromises they've made in their depiction to put the story front and center. So I gladly accept these concessions in order to enjoy a one-hour story each week.

Besides, if I want an accurate depiction of the US legal system, where am I going to go? Boston Legal? [​IMG]

I hope this show survives for a while.

12. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

One of the best new shows... was anyone fooled by the teaser a couple episodes back that made it look like a key cast member was going to be killed off?

> Besides, if I want an accurate depiction of the US legal system, where am I going to go?

Judge Judy, Texas Justice & the other syndicated shows.

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

maaaaaaaaan did you see the last episode? That sucked!

14. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    I saw it, and I couldn't believe it.

15. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Couldn't believe how it took SWAT an hour to shoot the guy?

16. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was about to post the same thing. That guy ran and got the kids after the bad guy fired off a dozen rounds...And these guys had scopes and the kid wasn't that close to him. [​IMG]

17. Scott L

Scott L Producer

bah!
    Shark finally loses on a cliffhanger and we get treated to a re-run!?
    oh well, it's a good episode [​IMG]

18. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That last one wasn't a cliffhanger. He sees Jordan Collier at the restaurant; end of episode. I suppose we won't see him again until May sweeps.

19. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Not exactly.
    Thought he saw Jordan, went to rough him up, turned out to be some random dude to whom he had to apologize for manhandling.

20. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Shark finally loses

I thought it was great that they broke the formula with that.

Wonder why they killed Martin, though... just a few episodes after teasing us with the "Is Casey going to die" promo.