What's new

SHARK BOYS, LAVA GIRLS and more in 3-D (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Funny how they managed to release nearly 50 movies in polarized 3-D in the 1950's and two dozen polarized 3-D movies in the 1980's (on 1000 screens at a time) yet they act like it is impossible now.....but in any case that's all about to change in the next few years.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's not impossible now; it's just that from a chain point of view, the points yielded to the theater from a film release make the expense per showing rate such that they don't want to spend (it eats into the profit margin). Right now the 80/20, 70/30, etc. split based on opening weekend, etc. means theaters make less on shorter run films. In the 90s and before, you could count on films staying in a theater longer, thus helping to make up the delta regarding cost to show. With DVDs on the shelves, and movies having a much shorter stint at theaters, the justification to spend to show a single film is a lot less.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Rodriguez reportedly screened the film in polarized (clear glasses) 3-D at an IMAX theatre in Austin for the premiere the other night. It is unclear whether it was digital 3-D or an actual IMAX print, but I'd bet on the former.

I guess the kids and me will get stuck seeing it in anaglyph form, at least for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks