What's new

Sharing USB HDs through home network (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
While setting up my home network, I discovered that the other computers can see but cannot access the USB hard drives connected to my computer. They can access the two hard drives that are physically inside the computer just fine. What is the trick to allowing them access to the USB drives, as that's where I put most of the PVR'd stuff I record through my PC.

Any help is appreciated. Windows XP help doesn't seem to address this situation.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Right click on the drive, then PROPERTIES...Click the SHARING tab, and go from there.

I have 5 250GB HD's to store my backed up movies and music connected by USB 2.0, and they all work in this manner.

And if you ever switch off your external HD, once you turn it back on you'll have to re-share it in order for it to work.

Good luck.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Well, I've already done this. The problem is, the other computers can already see the USB drives in My Network Places, but when they are clicked on, a message comes up saying that the network path is not found, or it will say that there's not enough server storage available to process the command.

Update: Found the solution at http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;177078 .
I had to go into regedit and change a value. Everything works GREAT now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks