Sharing email?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by CRyan, Sep 25, 2003.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Is there a way to share email over all networked computers? I would like to be able to share all email messages over a three computer home network. I cannot currently figure out how to look at email downloaded to one computer on another computer. So right now I have email on all three PC's depending which one I was on at the time I looked at my email. Any thoughts?

I currently use Outlook, but would be opent to another if it gave me this option.

Thanks,

C. Ryan

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you're running XP on your computers, just load the email on one machine and use Remote Desktop on the other 2 to connect to the host machine and view or send email.

If it's another OS, there is plenty of remote connection software that will do the same thing. I have used WinVNC and it's just as fast as Remote Desktop when used over a network......and free. You just have to give your host machine a static IP.

The only other way I can think of is setting Outlook to leave a copy of all messages on the server after downloading. That way it's available to any other computer that checks the same account. You'd have to go in and manually clean your inbox though, so that's not really a great way of doing it.

3. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

If your mail server supports IMAP then you're in luck. IMAP keeps your mail, text and attachments, on the server, so you can access all that information not just from other stations in your LAN but from any place where you can log in and check mail.

If, however, your server only works as POP3, your only recourse is to set your mail client to keep your original messages on the server, usually for a certain number of days, to avoid filling up your mailbox. Another disadvantage to POP3, even if you set it to keep your messages, is you can't retrieve the same message again on the same machine. You have to do it on another terminal. With IMAP you can retrieve messages and attachments as many times as you wish.

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Don't you have to accept a remote desktop session each time you do it? Meaning you have to go to both copmuters each time to get it going.

I will have to check to see if Comcast supports IMAP. I was hoping I could do that locally, but that would work. I just remember IMAP being so slow last time I used it at school years ago.

Thanks for the help.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor