Sharing a Drive with Windows XP and NTFS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Sanchez, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Hey all,

Been having a problem and was hoping to get some help. I have 3 computers on a home network sharing a internet connection and all are running Windows XP. (One running Pro.) They are all enabled to share eachothers files.

Recently I converted all the drives to NTFS. When I was on Fat32 all I did was right click the drives in My Computer, enable sharing for the entire drive and then any PC on my network could access and change any files. This doesn't seem to be the case now with NTFS. If I enable the drive to be shared, it only applies to the root drive and soon as I access a folder it says I don't have permission.

Getting to my point, how can I make my drives totally sharable using the NTFS system?

Thanks.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Try enabling the guest account.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > System Tools > Local Users & Groups > Users > double click Guest and make sure "Account is disabled' is unchecked.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

With NTFS all files and folders can be assigned permissions per user. The drive's root directory seems to have the right permissions but the folders do not.

I would not under any circumstances enable the Guest account on any computer that is connected to the Internet. Take a few minutes to create matching user accounts (with matching passwords) on each computer, assign file and folder permissions to those user accounts, and never assign a permission to "Everyone".