What's new

Share your knowledge and questions of the freeway (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I combined commute per day is over four hours, 200mi, so freeway, traffic, accidents are part of life for us and for most commuters in the bay area.

My question is who do you call when you have an accident. I would call 911 if it's a life and death situation but what if it's just a bumper to bumper sort of deal.

CHP. Tell me about them. Do they have juridiction at any CA highway? Who gets the motocycle and who don't? Do local police officer gives ticket in freeways?

As far as witnessing deadly accidents, I've seen more than I like: car flying, SUV/trucks flipping, ect but I like to say that for those of you who try to get into the carpool lane in a rush, don't do it. Take your time or you'll get smashed big time. I've seen this many times and one last week; it was actually a cop that got rammed entering the carpool lane. It's very difficult to enter the carpool lane while you're at crawling speed and the carpool lane is going at the limit. Sometime when I'm in the carpool lane, I'm scared to shit that someone just pops in. Yet, I see people enter into the freeway and change all three lanes almost immediately.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I believe it is correct to call 911 for both instances. I know I have used 911 for both, and have many times seen the CHP at the site of a freeway fender bender. I am pretty sure that dialing 911 from a cell phone puts you through to the CHP, not the regular 911 police dispatcher.

Not sure about CHP jurisdiction. All of my tickets have been on streets!

I have to commute on the LA freeways everyday, and sometimes I ask myself why I do it. It's just plain crazy.

Tim Travis

Agent
Is it correct that you can only enter and exit the carpool lane in california when the dividing line is just a broken white line? People keep trying to tell me that you can exit the carpool lane because there is a solid white line on the inside of the lane. Which one is correct? Thanks

Tim

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
Is it correct that you can only enter and exit the carpool lane in california when the dividing line is just a broken white line? People keep trying to tell me that you can exit the carpool lane because there is a solid white line on the inside of the lane.
I'm not an expert on carpool lanes, but generally you can cross dashed/broken lines, but not solid lines, white or yellow. I've seen plenty of people nabbed for crossing the solid white gore lines at on and off ramps.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
One time I bumped a guy and he called 911. He was walking and joking around fine but when the paramedics came he said he thought he felt back pain. So they took him away... Then A CHP gave me a ticket after I said it was my fault. ($245)

The family of the guy came to drive the car home since the driver took an ambulence. I was given many evil eyes and was also was stared at on the side of the road at a busy intersection by looky lous.

The guy was fine, nothing was wrong with him. I think he was thinking of suing me at the time.

After traffic school and 2 years later I'm still paying $500 a month on car insurance for a toyota 4runner because of it. I have tried other insurance companies but I still get rejected.

If you want to cause grief, call 911. If the accident is a fender bender then just exchange info and go home.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Most states have a highway patrol cell code; for instance, in GA it is *GHP and that will put you in contact with the local post.

I understand that a lot of people just want to exchange info and go on their way, but I view the police as a vital part of the process. When you call and the cop shows up at the scene, you get the opinion of an expert witness and a detailed report that you can use later if you are sued. Without it, there is no guarantee that either party will pay for damage and there is also no justice. I'm not being high and mighty here, (I've been in accidents that were my fault before) but people who run into other people should be penalized and have their insurance raised.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I know the carpools in Northern CA are a lot different than the ones in SoCal

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Here is SoCal. a solid white line is just like a curb. It is not to be crossed.
Carpool lanes are a joke. When traffic is heavy so are the carpool lanes, when traffic is light, so are the carpool lanes. They are one of the lamest ideas to come down the traffic idea pike.
Peace Out~:D

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, I agree with you. That's why here in Northern CA, 80 is 3 or more unless you drive a two-seater. That just drives me crazy too.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
In Houston the HOV lane is WALLED IN, so if something goes wrong in the HOV it totally backs up. And they are always almost as packed as the freeway.
So what is their solution? Change the HOV rules to even higher occupancy requirements thus forcing more drivers onto the already packed freeway. I mean if ALL the lanes (HOV included) are already packed then you need to CHANGE SOMETHING.
If they would just take that lane and turn it into a light rail lane they could ship a lot more people in and out of town with a lot more efficiency.
But what do I care, I moved back to Indy where we couldn't put a traffic jam together unless we planned ahead, had an ice storm, and added construction to 2 of the 3 lanes. :)
Yet people here still complain...if they only knew. ;)

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Here in Austin, the police tell people this. If you are in a fender benter, but can still drive the cars...Get out of the WAY. There are a lot of people that just leave there cars in the middle of the street. So, you are going along, and then all you see is breaks. I have been in a couple of fender benders. Not bad, and it was about 10 years ago. We just traded info, and went on our way. The lady didn't even file anything, it was my fault.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
If you have AAA they can give you the numbers of local law inforcement and the highway patrol. The times I got rear ended and hit a turkey I just called AAA and then they gave me the number for the correct law enforcement office. Its better to get a accident report so its documented for your insurance. Espically if its not your fault. They second time I was rear ended was in downtown pittsburgh and the cops where there as soon as I pulled off the road.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm still paying $500 a month on car insurance for a toyota 4runner
After one fender bender you're paying $500 a month? I would expect rates to be higher than normal in CA but that sounds crazy. After two at fault accidents (30k+ in damages) plus two tickets in four years i'm paying $900 for six months coverage. Try progressive (1800-progressive or progressive.com , they accepted me dispite my less than perfect driving record and gave me a discounted rate too.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
After one fender bender you're paying $500 a month?
California auto insurance just plain sucks. I was in an accident last year. Was rear-ended while at a dead stop. Was pushed into a minivan. My car was totaled. Even though the guy who hit me was at fault, my insurance company raised my rates. They didn't raise them that much, but still ...
It's legal for them to raise your rates, even if you are not at fault. Jeesh. I hope the SOB who hit me is paying dearly for his insurance. :angry:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
One time I bumped a guy and he called 911. He was walking and joking around fine but when the paramedics came he said he thought he felt back pain. So they took him away... /../

The guy was fine, nothing was wrong with him. I think he was thinking of suing me at the time.

I've been in this kind of accident twice (not my fault), and the paramedics insist on getting an ambulance for you if you have back pain, no matter how small it is. Back pain is not to be messed with. I had some back pain, but it wasn't that bad, and I had to talk THEM out of getting me an ambulance, I also had to sign some papers that I refused ambulance service. Next time, I'd rather just have them call the damn ambulance, at least it covers everyone's ass if something goes wrong later. I don't think he did it because he wanted to sue you, he probably just went along with the paramedics.

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks