Shaolin Soccer disc problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricW, Jun 17, 2002.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

hi. i hope i'm not breaking any rules with this post, but here goes: i went to the local chinese mall to get a copy of the Shaolin Soccer DVD, and while i couldn't tell if it was an official or a pirate, every single store had the same version, so i took a shot. i was hoping it was official because the pirate copies usually suck. anyways, the disc hangs at about the 2/3 of the way through; i don't know if it's a problem with a layer change or what. the video is excellent and is anamorphic, which makes me think it's official (i don't have alot of experience with illegal copies and i've certainly never heard of one being anamorphic). i can't access the special features cuz it's on the 2nd layer, but when i put it in my DVD-Rom drive and use file manager or whatever it can see all the vob files, so they are there.

does anybody know when the layer change occurs for the DVD?

or how i can tell if it's an official?

2. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

There is one official release by Universe. I don't recall when the layer change is but you may just have a defective DVD. I don't believe there were any player specific issues with this one.

Matt

3. William Laughner

William Laughner Stunt Coordinator

I actually had a problem with this disc when played on a few Toshiba players (sd-1200 & sd-2150). During the final game the picture would break up.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There have been some compatibility issues.

There are anamorphic bootlegs when all the pirates do is rip the legit disc

5. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

The legitimate Universe release is an excellent anamorphic SE of the film with DTS sound and has an extended branching version of the film included as well as extensive making of features.

The legitimate release has a gold star attached to the cover sheet under the plastic.

6. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I think there may be some compatibility issues with the DVD. My Sony player has some problems with it about 2/3rds in as well.

It is an excellent release.

7. YANG

YANG Second Unit

I believe that your disc is a legal copy...the picture breaks up could be caused by the manufacturing defects or the kind of disc holding hub of the keepcase.

This happens also to my recent purchase of STORMRIDERS, and A MAN CALLED HERO.

8. Todd Terwilliger

I have Stormriders as well and that works fine. Shaolin Soccer plays fine on my Daewoo player it's just on the Sony that problems arise. Actually, I also played it on my father's Toshiba progressive DVD player and it had a small hiccup with it as well.

9. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Looks like I have been the unwitting recipient of a pirated disc. [​IMG]
    Since this should be identical to the original, could someone tell me how to view the "extended branching" version? Since I can't really make out all the menu details, I might have been watching that version all along, I don't know...

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Don't forget to report them to the MPAA 1-800-NO-COPYS or http://www.mpaa.org
    There are burned in "follow the white rabbit" marks on the print. On the legit disc, all menu options are in English and Chinese

11. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

The menu options do have English, but there's no description for some things in English.

I checked out the "white rabbit" marks, but all I saw there were special effect demonstrations. I thought there were supposed to be some extra scenes from the movie, as well.

12. Todd Terwilliger

Selecting the white rabbit should take you to an extended scene. For instance, the white rabbit that shows up when Steel Leg first goes to the bread stand branches to an extended song and dance scene.

If you click on the Special Version (I think) from the disc's main menu it explains what the white rabbit does. The page you see will be in Chinese (Cantonese?) but there is an option in the upper corner to show the page in English.

13. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Not all legit version have the gold/black star on the cover.
    I realize the newer pressing and I have seen them on (StormRiders dts/Accidental Spy/Purple Storm/Shaolin Soccer etc). The initial presses -do not- have the gold star on them. I guess it's a recent anti-piracy tactic by Universe, which I fully support.