Shaolin Soccer : coming August 15th

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Matthew Brown, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Miramax has a marketing team contacting web sites offering goodies in exchange for putting up links promoting their release.

I ask any other webmasters to refuse if asked unless the movie is uncut and has the original soundtrack. I have heard for a while that there is an English dub and some cuts were made. This may be a chance to let them know that the cutting and dubbing has to stop. It's a good chance to send them a message.

Matt

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Summer doldrums, 2 years late, cut and dubbed. Please boycott

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

4. david stark

david stark Second Unit

noooooooooooooooooooo please don't tell me is's cut and dubbed. after all the dissapointments so far this year I was really looking forward to this one. I saw it advertised around the time of the world cup in 2002, but missed it because it was only on at cinemas near me in Belgium for a week or two. Then I move over here and see it's coming out and I can't wait, only to hear this.

What seems to the preference over here for foreign language films, subtitle or dub?? In Belgium (well Brussels and the north of Belgium anyway) all films (except for some kids films) are always in the original language with subtitles.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

David, buy it on region free DVD, from the likes of DDDHouse. Original language, original cut, with English subtitles.

It's a superb film.

6. Jeff Kleist

And it has full bitrate DTS! That should be enough to push most of them over the edge [​IMG]

And it'll run you well under $20 after shipping! You can't beat the deal!

http://www.dddhouse.com/cms/dddhouse...productID=1705

Prices are in HK$ before you have a heart attack, $7.75-$1US approx

7. Gordon Elgart

Gordon Elgart Auditioning

This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. It pains me that it has been butchered and dubbed. Those who have seen both tell me it is completely miserable in the English version. Now I will be told by people to whom I had recommended the movie that I had sold them a bill of goods.

Everyone should just get the Region Free DVD and enjoy the hilarity as intended.

8. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

Don't know how many Stephen Chow movies you guys have seen, but I think Shaolin Soccer is one of Chow's worst. None of his recent films can match any of his late 80's and early 90's works. In Shaolin Soccer there were dramatic moments that were too serious for a comedy.

9. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

After seeing the dvd, I was really looking forward to seeing this on the big screen as it really is one of those movies I want to experience that way. After seeing the trailer and realizing it was dubbed though, I decided I probably wouldn't bother as dubbing in live action films is incredibly distracting and it means half these actors wonderful performances are cut. Most of the big live-action foreign film successes in recent years were subtitled, but those were mostly directed at older audiences, whereas SS has younger appeal as well, and I'm guessing they are dubbing it so as not to alienate kids. From what I saw in the trailer though, even young children will notice the voices don't sync up.

What I don't understand is why they don't do like Disney did with Spirited Away and release a dubbed version and a subtitled version for limited release in the art house theaters so that there is at least a choice to see the movie as its meant to be seen. Then again, at least they're releasing the original in some form, unlike most studios who're just buying the rights to asian films and remaking them.

Oh, and that extremely over-used "Kung Fu Fighting" song has to go.

10. Jeff Kleist

11. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

For those who are interested in watching Shaolin Soccer in a theater, can watch this in it's original language on July 25th. The Moving Image museum in new york will have a preview screening of Shaolin Soccer.

12. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Cary, if that is true, I'll take a pass. Never been that big a fan of his (and most of his stuff that I've seen is exactly from the late 80s to early 90s).

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

how reliable is dddhouse.com?

15. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Ted, they are very reliable. It takes a while for them to ship though. My last order was placed on 6-30 for $350HK ($45.33US). It shipped on 7-5 and I expect it to get here (east coast) around 7-12 or 7-14. And their customer service people are great, and very friendly.

edited to say that this is where I purchased Shaolin Soccer for ~$14.30 including shipping. [​IMG]

Chris

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx chris...boy, i'm tempted! [​IMG]

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx again guys. i just placed my order. woo-hoo! [​IMG]

19. Jeff Kleist

Iron Monkey was released subtitled. It was also cut (supposedly at Yuen wo Ping's request, but I don't trust Miramax one iota considering how badly they beat on Stephen Chow) and rescored.

Iron Monkey also didn't do very well, so of course they determined it was the fact it was subbed rather than the film itself

20. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer