What's new

SHANKS alot Amazon! (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
It was a good day to troll through Amazons Seventies movies list (they really need to be on Instantwatcher, there is no easy way to browse) that they stream, and was pleasently surprised to find a film I have been curious to see-1974s SHANKS with Marcel Marceau in his only starring role (brilliant use of him in SILENT MOVIE as the only actor who had a word of dialogue!). This was on Olives original list of releases which hasnt come to fruition yet. I missed TCMs showing of it , so at $9.99 it is now on my Amazon library of films I never knew would see the light of day (SHEILA LEVINE..., LITTLE FAUSS AND BIG HALSEY and many others). i KNOW THERE IS MUCH CONTROVERSY about streaming on this board, and while there is nothing better than owning a product like a DVD/Bluray, I still get excited when I see a movie-in any format-that I want to experience, such as SHANKS. that will not stop me from purchasing a proposed Olive Bluray release down the line (as I did with my Amazon Prime purchases of CHILDS PLAY, MAN ON A SWING, HURRY SUNDOWN, SUCH GOOD FRIENDS and A NEW LEAF) As avid movie lovers-all of us here-we have all bought a movie in every new medium. So what is so different about watching a movie on literally just another device-as was a vhs, dvd , bluray? I also think that Amazons streaming is used as a prefix to possible upcoming Blurays from the studios. CHARLEY VARRICK, SWASHBUCKLER, ROOSTER COGBURN, THE THREE MUSKETEERS (from WB, 1973), SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE, EARTHQUAKE (YES) are all available for purchase in HD-which bodes well for eventual Bluray releases (possibly these are coming through Shout! s deal with Universal? With SHANKS I may have to change it to Amazon Mime

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Olive is still releasing Shanks. They cancelled it at one time due to the poor quality of the print available but then a suitable print was found and now it is back on Olive's long list of films coming soon.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia
I also think that Amazons streaming is used as a prefix to possible upcoming Blurays from the studios. CHARLEY VARRICK, SWASHBUCKLER, ROOSTER COGBURN, THE THREE MUSKETEERS (from WB, 1973), SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE, EARTHQUAKE (YES) are all available for purchase in HD-which bodes well for eventual Bluray releases (possibly these are coming through Shout! s deal with Universal?
I noticed that TWO-MINUTE WARNING is also available for HD streaming on Amazon. That's one of my guilty-pleasure favorites that I would love to have on blu-ray. So far only a non-anamorphic DVD in the US. I don't know if it's the sort of movie that would interest Shout! Factory. But if THE ISLAND could get a release (yes, I bought that one) why not TWO-MINUTE WARNING?

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Im optimistic that Shout! has interest in releasing Universals disaster movies. With their love of double features/quadfeatures, I can see them doing justice to EARTHQUAKE, TWO MINUTE WARNING, THE HINDENBURG and the other 3 AIRPORT releases. These are very much genre films as horror or scifi. Also, with their licensing some Roger Corman films we may also see a 3 pack of AVALANCHE/TIDAL WAVE/CATASTROPHE. Shout may also be the company to give us the tv versions of EARTHQUAKE and TWO MINUTE WARNING(in essence a totally different film ). I just watched the HD of THE THREE MUSKETEERS-a childhood favorite. This seems to be under WB label now through their Salkind association-it looked unbelievable!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks