What's new

Shanking the Tree--hybrid sacd? (1 Viewer)

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
I was under the impression that the only hybrid Peter Gabriel SACD would be Up (here in the States, anyway), but the Best Buy add this week has Shaking the Tree as a hybrid. Is this a misprint? Anyone have the disc?

Edit: not sure how I got an extra "n" in the thread title; if a mod wants to edit this, I'd feel much less stupid. :)

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it looks like a misprint. But it is on sale for $11.99, which is a pretty good deal. I'm looking a good importer myself for the hybrid versions.

Still waiting for Up in 5.1...wonder how many more times they'll push it back?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
James said:

Yeah, it looks like a misprint. But it is on sale for $11.99,
I saw this in the Best Buy flier on Sunday. Is $11.99 for the SACD or CD? I was under the impression that the CD is on sale for $11.99. The SACD was mentioned as being "also available" in a small box, so I assumed that $11.99 was for the CD.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I bought this at BB for 11.99. I pointed that ad out to the manager and got a price fix due to the uncertainty of the add(hybrid). I am disapointed that I spent 11.99.:thumbsdown: Not one of my better sounding pop cds. This is the second time I have bought new releases early at BB . If I go in and ask the Fri or Mon B4, and the release date has been moved back, they will sell it to me based on first release date.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"Shaking the Tree" is marked at 14.99 at Best Buy, but rings up at 11.99.

I was disappointed, however, that my local Best Buy only had "So", "Passion" and "Tree" in stock. My favorite, "3", wasn't there, and I hadn't even planned on buying "Tree". Still, for 11.99, it'll hold me over.

The sound quality? Exceptional. I'd been listening to Vaughan William's "A Sea Symphony" and Alison Krauss+Union Station "Live" all weekend, both among the very best SACDs I've ever heard. And though the Gabriel discs don't reach that level of fidelity, they positively smoke my old CDs (not the recent remasters). The inherent brightness of some of the recordings remains, but the digital "glare" and congestion I'd experienced with the CDs is gone. I kept pushing the volume louder and louder and louder until it was reaching levels that usually precede having a Notice to Quit stapled to one's apartment door, Tony Levin's bass surely rearranging the internal organs of the family upstairs... and still it begged to be turned up more. The soundstage is surprisingly deep and open, with alot of space and air around all the instruments.

Coincidentally, my wife and I had seen the Alvin Ailey troupe last Friday night, and their opening piece was choreographed to selections from Gabriel's "Passion" (one of my favorites from him). The sound was decent enough in the Wang, with two good sized monitors plus two enormous subwoofers pushing it out. My speakers couldn't do the big drums quite the same justice in terms of moving air, but the quality of the sound was immensely improved. I hope that whomever is doing the sound for Alvin Ailey, starts using the new SACD for this piece! I wish I'd heard it that way!

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
Glad my typo is a source of amusement. :D

Also glad to hear the discs sound good; these will be my first stereo-only SACDs. Should be in my mailbox today.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I picked this up at Best Buy today during lunch. There was a "correction" sign by the discs indicating that advertisement was a misprint and this was not a hybrid disc. They also had a "as advertised $11.99" sign next to the discs.

This is the first time I've shopped for high-res music at Best Buy since they created a special section in the music department for SACD and DVD-Audio. It's much easier looking for titles now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks