What's new

Shania Twain (1 Viewer)

Chip_G

Auditioning
I figure the Subject of this thread will surely grab Gregg's attention. And since he did such an insane job calibrating my very uncalibrated 57xbr10w, I wanted to make sure he knew how much I appreciated him fitting me into his weekend down here in Mass. Gregg has already been established in the services he provides so I won't bother reiterating everything everyone has already posted about what he offers. What I will tell you is that you can add me to the long list of very satisified customers.
I don't know if it was a look of horror, or a look of "OH crap my $3000 greyscale analyzer must be out of whack!". But when we took the pre-calibration numbers, and I won the "OMG these are the worst numbers I have ever seen" award, I knew from that point on, today was going to be a good day. I have yet to scan in the actual graph so I can't show it to you yet, but I can tell you that pre-calibration, my numbers ranged from 4400K to 15,400K with nothing between 5000K-12,000K. Pretty freakin bad. However, post surgery they were all within 200K of 6500K.
The focusing adjustments yielded results that were typical of some one who knows what they are doing. And I use typical only because I don't have the capacity to explain in any sort of form to some one who hasn't had it done, would understand. To put it in the most visual terms I can....along with the convergence and the geometry, white letters on the screen no longer have a blue halo around them...!!?!?!!
Oh yes, the glare screen. Like most every other first time RPTV owner, some one suggesting to you that you need to remove the protective screen is for the most part, a hard thing to believe. The best analogy I can come up with is comparing it to a pro hockey skater. Name one pro hockey skater that wears a full face shield? None right? Why? Because not only do they have the tendancy to distort images, but they also create so much glare from rink lights, that any time the puck leaves the ice, you'd be looking through a criss-cross pattern of plastic while battling tiny versions of the sun. Well, ok, so it takes away glare and makes the image more life like, it's probably called a protective screen for a reason, no? Back to the hockey helmet analogy... You just have to become more aware of what you let near the screen/your face. If this isn't something you think you can control because of pets, kids, clumsy friends, then maybe removing it isn't the best choice. But, I have included two links below which are the before and after pictures of my TV with the glare screen on and off. When Gregg suggests to you to remove the screen, do so.
Well, I'm pretty tired of typing and I'm sure you're pretty tired of reading. But you can chalk me up as another very happy customer of Gregg's. He's a great guy, very knowledgable and if he would just stop being a canadian hockey fan, he might just be OK.
Chip-
the before and after (nevermind the way my plants look in the after, there's like a 5 month difference and I can't keep them alive):
Link Removed
Link Removed

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Chip!
ROTFLMAO!!
During the calibration, we listened to a VH1 Devas of Rock special, where Shania, et la were featured.
It was good time. After the calibration Chip, Bill Slack, and I went out to a local pub and grabbed some food while we watched Canada Kill Team USA for Olympic Gold:)
Chip, these are great pics for showing the before and after results of removing the antiglare screen!
BTW, I loved the way your set looked after calibration. I would recommend the Sony XBR RP line to anybody in a heart beat.
Let me know if you ever have any questions. And as always, I am willing to return for a free touch up of your grey scale, as long as Im in the area.
Gregg

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chip, great pics. I noticed that you have added a Sony progressive DVD player and an Xbox to your system since the top picture was taken. You also seemed to have changed your speakers. Nice player and game system additions.

-Vic

EricH

Auditioning
Silly question maybe, but doesn't anyone make a protective screen for those of us with visiting children and a golden retriever who insists that tv sets taste like bacon?

There has to be a solution to replace the one you get from the manufacturer with one that looks great.

Chip_G

Auditioning
LOL, Adil.

Yeah, my speaker situation is a little weird. I used to have the single cube bose and a Cambridge Soundworks center, but they matched horribly. And my dad had a set of Accoustimas 7's in a closet, so I am borrowing them for the time being. The AM-7's are so-so, but they sound way better then mismatched fronts and center. I'm currently reviewing the Cambridge Soundworks tower speakers, but around here it's a little tough because the show rooms are set up pretty poorly. But I have some time on my hands, because I can't get towers until I notch out my closet wall and move my rack there, so....for now I have a bit of a hollow sounding theater.

re:x-box, it looks pretty sweet on the the screen. I haven't played halo yet, which is in 1080i, but all my other games are in 480p and look insane. It was the sole reason I bought it over PS2.

Chip-

Chip_G

Auditioning
It sure is. possibly one of the softest rugs I've ever stepped foot on. Too bad you can't see the TV when you're lying on it...

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Wow, I am certainly gonna remove my glare screen after seeing those pics!

I am having Gregg do my set this spring, I have a new Pioneer 643.

JP

PS-> Halo is 480p.

Chip_G

Auditioning
Really? Halo is 480p? I could have sworn it said 1080i on the box...oh well.
Here's a pic of what lense striping is, incase the name doesn't give you a clear enough picture:
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks