What's new

Shanghai Kiss (1 Viewer)

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some news on a little indie film I wrote and directed called Shanghai Kiss, a coming of age romantic dramedy that stars Ken Leung, Hayden Panettiere, Kelly Hu, Joel David Moore, and James Hong. Starz/Anchor Bay is releasing the DVD on Oct 9.

IMDb link.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469184/

As a HTF member for more than a decade now, I'd love to have the support of the community here. So if it sounds interesting, check it out.

David

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
....and Timothy Bottoms!

Thanks for the heads up David.

Always ready to watch Hayden Panettiere. :)

Your next film has Dominique Swain....Wow!

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator
I pre-ordered it from Amazon already. I am a huge fan of Hayden Panettiere so I have to see it. I'll let you know what I think in a few weeks.

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot to let you know my opinion of the movie. I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed the movie. Hayden Panettiere was a great choice. She is such a great actress. The dvd does not disappoint with the extras. Will the movie be out on blu-ray or hd dvd?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Saw the title of this post and thought this was another Jackie Chan/Owen Wilson movie.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Really enjoyed the movie also, made my top ten of 2007! Good job David Ren.

Loved the taxi scene. Funny because it's true, experienced something very similar in Shanghai myself :D And I chuckled at The Rock reference. Hayden Panettiere is so adorable in the movie - she has Natalie Portman qualities.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
David, this sounds like my kind of movie and I had been tempted to rent it a few times. My Netflix account is on hold right now, but I found it at a local RedBox, so I'll give it a shot. I might do a write-up.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The first time I saw it, I wasn't sure what to think. A few months back, I watched it again. A couple weeks back, I was adding stuff to my Netflix queue, and I saw that Shanghai Kiss was available for Instant Viewing. I had time to kill, so I watched it again. It's a film that has really grown on me, and man, Hayden Panettiere..."they should've sent a poet." ;) Her performance felt so natural; it's one of the few performances where I felt like the actor isn't really acting, with the lone exception of the scene outside the movie theater, but I feel that's more of a fault of the writing than her ability.

As an Asian-American, I felt Liam's pain as he struggled with his identity crisis.

Since I've gotten Netflix, I've really cut back on purchasing DVDs to the point where I only buy a few per year, and I've decided that Shanghai Kiss is worth the purchase.

Great debut, David. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Cassy_w

Second Unit
We never bought into Hayden Panettiere having a thing for Ken Leung. It just seemed absurd to us in every way. Completely not believable. Minus that plot point and the rest of the film is interesting.

One other plot point that is absurd is the cost of the apartment in China. Being from Asia, let me tell you, an aprtment in that location would have cost ten times what he was selling it for. However, if you are not familiar with that sort of thing, it won't be a bother.

By the way, it's interesting how a cut sub plot could so change the film. I'm glad they deleted a certain something from the storyline because without it the film worked much better.

I'm a girl, but I want to get it on with Kelly Hu. Oh my God, I wish I had her curves. :D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Cassy,
Please post more often, it's always nice to get the female POV.
Particularly when it's also our POV.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks