Shane (1966 TV version)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by PaulaJ, Jan 18, 2006.

1. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Can anyone confirm who has the rights to the short-lived (17 episodes) 1966 TV western Shane? The production company was Titus Productions, which was bought out by Taft Productions at some point, and the studio was Paramount.

Some pals of mine want to see about getting this show onto DVD. (I don't see it happening but you never know... it would be nice) [​IMG]

2. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

In 1980s cable reruns, I saw "Shane", David Carradine's first TV series from the mid 1960s. Other than being visually pleasing thanks to the presense of the late Jill Ireland (as Marion), it was a very bland show. That's why the ratings were so low, leading ABC to cancel it after a partial season.

If this never comes to DVD, you aren't missing much.

3. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

It's owned by Paramount. Good luck seeing it. TV Land ran it although I don't know if they aired all 17 or not.

4. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Heh, actually I have seen those TVLand episodes and I enjoyed the show a lot, though it's kind of like watching an alternative world version of Shane as conceived by a romance writer. [​IMG] I wonder if Shane novelist Jack Schaefer watched the series back in 1966. I can only imagine his reaction. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Michael -- I believe TV Land aired 15 of the 17 episodes. The two-parter "The Great Invasion" was not included in the rebroadcast for some reason.

Thanks for the info re Paramount still owning the show. [​IMG]

5. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

The 1950s Alan Ladd film "Shane" on which the TV series is based is considered a classic. While I felt it was well produced and directed by the late George Stevens, I didn't care for either the acting or the actors themselves.