What's new

shamelessly newbie... need help. (1 Viewer)

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a true newbie question for you:

I've been doing some research on finding two speakers that I will use for music now, and for HT in a few months.

I have decided on a pair of JBL S312s, that I think will do nicely as fronts for the HT system to come.

Right now, all I want to do is play music, specifically CDs.

Do I need to buy anything other than a CD player?

Will I have to buy an amp also?

I've been reading that some good HT receivers are coming out springtime, so I don't want to spend the moey on that now.

Is it worth eventually having a stereo receiver and an HT receiver?

Basically, I have $300 left to spend, so is my dream possible?

If not, I'd appreciate help on another set of speakers.

Sorry for all these questions... but thanks in advance for any help.

J

John Morris

Hi Talal: Welcome to our sickness! :)
What do you currently have? Do you already have a stereo receiver and CD player? If not, are you saying that your total budget for everything is $300? LMK.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have $300 for a reciever and cd player(are there any that play mp3 cds?).

if that's too little, I'd appreciate a recommendation of another set of speakers that would also be worthy of being used as fronts of a future HT system.

A pair of S312s is costing me $540.

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,
Although I am not an expert in any way, I would recommend saving some more coin...
there is nothing worse than running out and buying something within a meager budget and a few months later saying, " I should have saved some more and purchased something I can keep for a while".
Just ask anyone who purchased a Yugo!
Tony

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Here is what I would suggest:

Assuming you have selected your speakers after comparing with others in the same general price range, I'd suggest you stick with them,since, IMHO, speakers have much more to do with determining the sound of your system than any other component.

In my experience , one can get a decent CD/dvd player for about $200. (I bought a Hitachi DVP-305 for $200 a year or so ago and it does a fine job playing both cds and DVDs).

Unfortunately, that only leaves you with $100 - not enough for a multi channel receiver although you might be able to find one for $150 - $200 at Circuit city or Best Buy.

However, if you can only spend $100, you can get a 2 channel receiver from, for example, Pioneer. I bought a Pioneer SX -205 from CC a few years ago for $100 and have been very pleased with its performance.

Good luck. Bob

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not going to be getting a multi-channel receiver right now. I'll definitely wait for more bucks to pour in..

but does anyone have any suggestions on the cd player/receiver?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks