What's new

"Shall We Dance?" remake (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Ugh. Low expectations, but we shall see. The only thing I really want to see coming out of this movie is the DVD of the Japanese version.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ent_id=1918928

June 20, 2003

Miramax fills 'Dance' card

NEW YORK -- Miramax Films has rounded out its Richard Gere-Jennifer Lopez starrer "Shall We Dance?" by tapping Susan Sarandon, Stanley Tucci, Bobby Cannavale, Lisa Ann Walter, Broadway veteran Deborah Yates, Nick Cannon and Richard Jenkins to join the cast. "Dance," a remake of the 1996 Japanese feature of the same name, follows a businessman (Gere) who takes ballroom dancing lessons to impress a beautiful young dance teacher (Lopez). Peter Chelsom is directing the script by Audrey Wells.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'll stick with the movie that's good thank you.

A film that doesn't work on US cultural mores, they'll horrifically alter it or it won't make any sense

On the upside, maybe we'll get an uncut DVD release of the film somewhere w/English subs

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Right off hand, I am going to guess it to be a very different movie than the original. For those that have seen the original, just try imagine Gere in the lead, especially after he showed rather impressive dancing capability in the recent big hit Chicago.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The trailer is up:

WARNING: For those of you who haven't seen the Japanese version yet, do NOT watch this unless you want the entire movie spoiled for you.

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/ao...ce_trlr_dl.mov

I'll be damned. As far as I can tell, they stayed pretty true to the Japanese version, and it actually looks decent. The voiceover for the trailer is very similar to the voiceover for the original's trailer.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm bouncing around with joy at this trailer! Not only does it look good, it was filmed in Chicago, yay! I had no idea it was set in Chicago. My butt's in the seat. I'm a sucker for Chicago movies. Plus I like the story, and I like the cast. It looks sweet.

I agree that the trailer spoils everything. That could backfire badly on them. They should rethink that trailer. There are several movies I don't go to see because I assume I've seen the entire story via the trailer. The Negotiator was one of them. I enjoyed the movie when I caught it on cable, but yep, I was right, the trailer did tell me the entire movie, including an important spoiler.

If they think they're going to sell this movie just on Lopez and Gere, well, they could be right, but they'll lose a lot of people who will just say "why should I pay to go see it? I've just seen it."

I'd urge everyone to seek out the Japanese original. It's such a lovely little movie.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Well, the trailer for Peter Chelsom's previous movie, Serendipity, also gave away the entire movie, but I still liked it a lot.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
So if they put the original out on DVD, will they call it SHALL WE DANSU to avoid confusion with the US version?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks