What's new

Shall We Dance? on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if the excellent Japanese foreign film, "Shall We Dance?" has been released (or is planning on being released) on DVD for U.S. or even Japan any time soon?

Thanks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Nope ;(

The best version is currently an HK VCD by Ocean, which includes English subs and the 20min that Miramax cut

Wilson W

Agent
Aside from the VCD, there's also the laserdisc, which has decent picture and good sound.

but a dvd would definitely be nice.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I own the Japanese LD, and it's pretty good, but i didn't like the colour as much as the VHS version. How does this compare the the US LD?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Wilson, the OCean LD is impossible to find. If you know where to get one please speak up, I'd love to have it.

Who cares about the US LD, since it's missing 20min thanks to Harvey Scissorhands

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Ah so the US LD is cut as well? A lot of the cuts I don't mind as much like the small transition cuts, but when they cut out dialog between, like the "mom and daughter in the car" and "Mall escalator" I really don't like. :angry: I currently own the Miramax (Cut version) VHS, the airplane version(very large subs), and the DAIEI Japanese LD (DLZ-0203).
I still havent not finished my analog fansub master, as my colour corrector is not working properly.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
yup, All current Miramax versions are sliced adn diced

Maybe with the DVD they'll restore it, whenever they get around to doing it

Wilson W

Agent
Jeff,
The Ocean LD is indeed very difficult to come by, you would have to do a lot of good in the past life to have that sort of luck.
I did see it a while ago in the used section of a chinese video store in SF. But I didn't pick it up and it must be gone by now.:angry:

Wilson W

Agent
Jeff,

No problem, I'll keep my eyes open, but don't keep your hopes up.

As a side note, when I came across any used LD in those chinese video stores (usually in a sale bin where they are trying to get rid of old rental discs), they are of very poor condition, as if they've been through hell and back, which is why I'd never perchased previously viewed LD from those places.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks