What's new

Shall We Dance? - Both available now (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I've seen the "long" version, and I'll have to agree with Miramax. The scenes that were cut didn't really add much of anything to the film. Granted, the viewer should decide, not the studio, but I think Miramax actually did right this time around.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's tied in with the release of the US version, with Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez, and Susan Sarandon. That's one way to get Miramax to release its Asian film cache.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I was looking around the 'net for preorder information and both Amazon and DVD Planet both say this title is no longer on the schedule. DVD Planet's site says it's "Cancelled." This makes me worried as if it was announced then removed. It was a perfect tie-in to the upcoming remake. DVD Empire, Digital Eyes, and Deep Discount DVD also don't have it listed.

I hope it's just mixed signals and that the release date still stands, but with five major retailers not listing it, I was getting worried. I also just got rid of my laserdisc recently (my player is going on the fritz, anyway - looking for positive reinforcement in my disappointment I guess).

But what's making me optimistic is that it's still listed on Buena Vista's Web site.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
So nice that they couldn't bother to show Asian faces on the sleeve, or any other indication that this is a Japanese film. Do they figure people might think the Gere-Lopez version is out on video already? Then again, given the number of times I've been in video stores and overheard people asking for movies that were still in theatrical release, I suppose it could be a clever move on the part of Miramaxe to sucker a few extra people.
That cover is absolutely lame.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I remember that. What a shame. Even then they were afraid to use original art. I lump this in with the short-lived habit of sticking sunglasses on Chow Yun-fat and Jet Li on the posters for some of their American films, while their co-stars got the full-face treatment.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I don't know what the original Japanese cover art looks like but this is the original video cover art that Miramax used for VHS and laserdisc.

I've also sent a message to BVHV (video.com) and asked them about the release of this on DVD so let's see what they say...

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
See, now that's a clever sleeve design. Looks like something Criterion would put together if they released the film. Sure beats generic dancing legs.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I got this reply from Buena Vista Home Entertainment today:

Dear Keith,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding SHALL WE DANCE?. We appreciate your interest.

We do not have a release date for SHALL WE DANCE? at this time.

Please visit our website at

www.video.com

for further details.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

BVHE Consumer Relations
US and Canada

I wrote back and said www.video.com does list a release date of 10/12 though. There goes the tie-in to the upcoming remake and the opportunity for people who could have seen this gem of a movie to appreciate a great movie (for now). I hope it gets released relatively soon.

:frowning:
:thumbsdown:

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
The customer service rep who answered my e-mail back misunderstood my message but I was very clear about asking about the Japanese version in my message. This is the response I got:

A DVD release date has not been scheduled at this time. The theatrical release is scheduled for October.

Regards,

BVHE Consumer Relations
US and Canada

This response was regarding the remake, so I replied clarifying that I was referring to the Japanese version. We'll see what they say THEN...

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Man, this really frosts my strawberries. The second time in under a year that one of my two top wants from Miramax gets cancelled without explanation, after getting an official street date (this also happened with MICROCOSMOS back in December '03).

SHALL WE DANCE? was a hit when it was imported in 1996/97 (and was released on Divx!). The remake (also from Miramax!) hits theaters in October. All the marketing planets are in alignment, and yet, *phffft!* the DVD is cancelled!

This makes little sense to me. Unless, somehow, they decided to go back and restore the film to its full running time (as they did with CINEMA PARADISO), and/or record an optional dub track, and/or hand the title over to Criterion...or else, maybe they want to tie the 1996 film with the DVD debut of the remake, months from now.

Still, a lousy way to treat those customers who've been waiting for the film's DVD debut for years now. :angry: :thumbsdown:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I wonder what happened, all set to go then ..........
Maybe, they thought, that people would not go see
JELLO !!!!!!!!!!
I wish they would have cast ZETA-JONES and Gere together
again !!!!!!!

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
The first reply that I posted might be referring to the upcoming remake. I resent my message referring them to:

http://video.movies.go.com/products/3824303.html

I asked them if this version is still coming out on 10/12.

However, the reply above could also hold true for both the 1997 version and obviously the remake since it hasn't even arrived in theaters. It is strange that (if true) this title was pulled from the release schedule with no announcement, no fanfare, so under the radar, as if it was on purpose.

It would be heavenly if Criterion were to release this...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm a big fan of this film, but I don't think this would be something that Criterion would work on.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
And here is the nail in the coffin... the latest reply from Buena Vista:

Keith,

We apologize for the misunderstanding. A release of the original Japanese version has not been scheduled at this time.

Regards,

BVHE Consumer Relations
US and Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks